Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What did I buy?

Started by fyrebull, September 15, 2007, 08:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrebull

I bought 2 Cichlids at Al's.  They were listed as"Labidichromis Pearlmut".  When I looked them up in the "cichlid forum" they don't look like what they have posted. I found two species that I believe strongly resemble what I bought. (see first two pics below) They are "Metriaclima estherae" (red zebra) and "Melanochromis Johannii".  Below that are three photos of my fish.  Sorry for the quality.

babblefish1960

Quote from: fyrebull on September 15, 2007, 08:36:23 PM
I bought 2 Cichlids at Al's.  They were listed as"Labidichromis Pearlmut". 

The name "mut" sounds suspicious to me, if you bought these from an "assorted cichlids" tank, then they could be what you think you have, or even hybrids. If you could provide a really good couple of photos of the fish in question, then it would be easier to count scales and rays and whatnot.  This could take a while, so love them anyway, chances are you probably don't look at all like what the fishes mother told them to expect either. :)

fyrebull

Quote from: babblefish1960 on September 15, 2007, 09:30:02 PM
The name "mut" sounds suspicious to me, if you bought these from an "assorted cichlids" tank, then they could be what you think you have, or even hybrids. If you could provide a really good couple of photos of the fish in question, then it would be easier to count scales and rays and whatnot.  This could take a while, so love them anyway, chances are you probably don't look at all like what the fishes mother told them to expect either. :)

Thanks Babble...except for the fish mother part... :D. It was not a assorted tank there was about 2 dozen of these guys in the tank, I am going to call the store tomorrow, I like them, I was just hoping someone could pin point them easily.

fyrebull

I had to call Al's to find out what happened...long story short...the name on the sheet and the fish I received where too differant things... :o but is all right now...I have 2 Pseudotropheus Msobo sp. "Deep Tanzania"

Thanks for your help. Here they are... :D

babblefish1960

Very lovely looking fish, I am sure that you will be very happy with them, and I am sure they will be happy with you once they figure you out. ;)

It is a good thing to know sometimes what we buy on a whim. :)

fyrebull

Quote from: babblefish1960 on September 16, 2007, 03:15:00 PM
Very lovely looking fish, I am sure that you will be very happy with them, and I am sure they will be happy with you once they figure you out. ;)

It is a good thing to know sometimes what we buy on a whim. :)

Myself and the person at Al's were both obviously new to this, luckily the guy on the phone the next day could figure out what they put in the bag....two species in the tank 50/50 chance and I blew it :-[

RoxyDog

I thought they might be those, I was checking them out too!  let me know how they do b/c they're supposed to be really aggressive.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

mseguin

Don't feel too bad, my guess is the ones yuo got are more likely more expensive than the perlmutt's

fyrebull

Quote from: mseguin on September 17, 2007, 02:18:00 PM
Don't feel too bad, my guess is the ones yuo got are more likely more expensive than the perlmutt's

I did not want to mention that......they were about twice the price...... :-[, but Al's did not ask for me to come in with the cash, hope my guilty conscience does not get the better of me.

fyrebull

Quote from: RoxyDog on September 17, 2007, 01:49:59 PM
I thought they might be those, I was checking them out too!  let me know how they do b/c they're supposed to be really aggressive.

I will keep you posted, my tank is fairly heavily planted and rocked with caves and such, so there is plenty of hiding spaces, also almost all my stock are at the juvenile stage, but I also read that they can be pretty aggressive.  Which would really be to bad they are slowly becoming 2 of my favorites.

fyrebull

Quote from: RoxyDog on September 17, 2007, 01:49:59 PM

Hey Roxy, I find more and more they are becoming aggressive. There seems to be a real power struggle with my "Kenyi's"
I may have to set my other tank up sooner than I thought.

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.