Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Wiil buy an established 75 gal next weekend

Started by renadia, September 16, 2007, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

Yep I have conviced hubby that I really need this 75 gal tank  ;D   He's not that convinced but knows I will not rest my case until my Koi's are in  ;D ;D. They live in a 300 gal pond but it's only 2' deep. And I want to be able to observed them better you can't really see them that well in a pond. ( I also have to buy a super nice stand if I want to put it in the living room!) So this guy has the 75 gal for sale and it comes with some fish! ( yep I will have a overload of fish :D, just bought a 55 gal for my Koi's but it had a clan living in it that I can' t just get rid of, so now you know why I'm getting a 75 gal) I will get some pictures tomorrow of the 75 gal. He said he had some angels and plecos and other fish. So now I will keep the 75 g for tropical fish and the 55 g for the Koi.
So I'm wondering how much water should I plan on keeping when I pickup the tank? It has to be feasible in a minivan. Hoping hubby will come and pick it up with me, that's pretty big :D

It will need to be able to keep on going with it's existing fish. The 55g is full with the crew living in there now and my water is just starting to get better. Thanks BigDaddy and BigMomma for helping out with the testing and suggestion of a water testing kit today ;)

BigDaddy

You don't need anymore what than what it will take to bag the angels and plecos.  Extra tank water isn't really that useful for cycling, and won't be a huge requirement for non-sensitive fish like plecs and angels (assuming they are fairly mature).

Make sure to empty the filters, but keep the media damp.  Best thing is to keep the media sealed up in a rubbermaid or a plastic bag.  It doesn't have to be submerged... it just has to NOT dry out.

KLKelly

Will the parrot fish get along with the angels and plecos?  Someone on another forum posted that parrot fish had taken the eyes out of a pleco : (  Of course this could have been a one-off experience.

BigDaddy

I think renadia's point will be to sell off the angels and plecos (which are higher in demand than large tinfoils and parrots) and reserve the 75 strictly for her big fish

renadia

I'm thinking of selling the TinFoil keeping the parrots and adding some other tropical fish to make the tank more interesting. So I had tough of keeping the angels and I have to check what the plecos look like.

Anyone want a 8" TinFoil ?