Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where can I get a custom tank built? (375g)

Started by xenon, September 20, 2007, 02:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenon

I would like to get a 375g tank built (8ft X 30" x 30")

I dont care if its glass or acrylic, whatever is cheaper.

Where is the best place to get something like this built in Ottawa?

RossW

I had this referral a while back by gmann:

Try North american fishbreeders in Scarborough.  Johns prices are very good.
416-267-7252

BigDaddy

CNCMarine in Montreal builds custom acrylic tanks... you could try them.

xenon

I will give those guys a call.

So far the best price quote on acrylic tank (96" x 36" deep x 30" tall) has been $2100 for the tank and $400 for rear overflow or $200 for side overflow.

gvv

The dimensions are not completly the same, but there is 96x36x36 tank for sale and it is a deal...
http://aquariacanada.com/Classifieds/showproduct.php?product=133&cat=3

Regards

xenon

Quote from: gvv on September 20, 2007, 02:42:34 PM
The dimensions are not completly the same, but there is 96x36x36 tank for sale and it is a deal...
http://aquariacanada.com/Classifieds/showproduct.php?product=133&cat=3

Regards

I got his phone# from patrick. My girlfriend called while i was driving and it seems he is not ready to sell the tank. It needs to be taken apart so there is a risk of the glass breaking.

xenon

Quote from: RossW on September 20, 2007, 10:38:51 AM
I had this referral a while back by gmann:

Try North american fishbreeders in Scarborough.  Johns prices are very good.
416-267-7252

His price was much better than Miracles that's for sure but still more than I want to spend. I guess I will keep my eye out for a large used tank.

RossW

Would you mind sharing the price(s) for those of us who are following your dream and wondering if it could be ours also?

Brine

In case you might want to build your own tank. A friend of mine in Kitchener, Ontario posted this tutorial complete with pictures etc. I expect that this might be the cheapest way to get a custom tank. It for sure is the easisest way to get a tank through tight corners....you just take the plate glass in one sheet at a time.

http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1283

xenon

I am pretty sure a large tank needs more than just silicone to stay together.

Shrimpy

darkdep

It doesn't, actually.  Silicone and glass work extremely well together.  Look at the unfortunate situation that bitterman just went through; the glass failed, not the silicone.

Thanks for posting the link to the kwas post.  That method is pretty much what I'm planning to do for my new big tank (300gal).  But my dimensions will be different and will have cross braces.

The tank I'm planning will be 96" long x 30" wide x 24" tall.  Total glass cost will be in the $900 range.

beowulf

Quote from: Shrimpy on September 21, 2007, 09:03:05 AM
I just got a quote back from them for a big tank.  :D The shipping alone is over $1100.00.  :o LOL

Ouch but the shipping now is 1/2 price or free if you spend enough lol

I just found the site a while ago and some of the tanks look really nice never acutally got a quote.

Shrimpy

Quote from: beowulf on September 21, 2007, 09:51:05 AM
Ouch but the shipping now is 1/2 price or free if you spend enough lol

I just found the site a while ago and some of the tanks look really nice never acutally got a quote.

They sent me a PDF of one of their flyers showing what is standard with the tanks, what are options, 4 different options for bracing, 7 different types of overflows, etc...  I can email it to you if you'd like to see it. Shoot me a PM as Putfile isn't working right now.  ;)

Brine

Silicone is more than sufficient. The same guy in KW built a 540G with silicone 3/4" thick glass 8'long 3'tall 3'wide. His name is Keil and you can see pics of it at kwas.ca

beowulf

Quote from: Shrimpy on September 21, 2007, 09:59:04 AM
They sent me a PDF of one of their flyers showing what is standard with the tanks, what are options, 4 different options for bracing, 7 different types of overflows, etc...  I can email it to you if you'd like to see it. Shoot me a PM as Putfile isn't working right now.  ;)

That would be cool and with the dollar at par might be interesting.....

sniggir

Vernon's 500 gal was glass and silicon, he was just selling it a while back to
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!