Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help! Something is wrong with my platys

Started by OrchidNow, September 20, 2007, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrchidNow

Here I thought things are looking up. But one of the platy is kinda at the bottom of the tank. They both swam and got food but.... and they look like they have white spots all over. The one at the bottom has more. What am I supposed to do? There are 2 danios in the same tank. They look ok. But what do I know?

charlie

Quote from: OrchidNow on September 20, 2007, 05:34:52 PM
Here I thought things are looking up. But one of the platy is kinda at the bottom of the tank. They both swam and got food but.... and they look like they have white spots all over. The one at the bottom has more. What am I supposed to do? There are 2 danios in the same tank. They look ok. But what do I know?
If it is small white spots that look like salt crystals, it is ick.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=38

OrchidNow

Well, I really don't have to quarantine them since they are pretty much on their own plus the danios which seems perfectly ok. Plus I don't have another extra tank.

I'll have to head over to Big Al's tomorrow to get them some medicine...or something. I'm getting real discourage here.  :'(

dan2x38

Quote from: OrchidNow on September 20, 2007, 09:53:03 PM
Well, I really don't have to quarantine them since they are pretty much on their own plus the danios which seems perfectly ok. Plus I don't have another extra tank.

I'll have to head over to Big Al's tomorrow to get them some medicine...or something. I'm getting real discourage here.  :'(

Start slowing raising the temp up to 85f-86f... do you have aquarium salt... if so start adding 1 tsp/gal. mix in some water add slowly over several hours... also step up your aireation because higher temp. water has less O2... it is stressful but treatable I recently went through it... you got to treat the whole tank for Ich... Here is a good link for Ich
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Why are you getting discouraged?  Every single person on this board has had ich...which sounds like what your fish have.  Increase the temperature slowly, add 1tbsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water and add the fish medicine.  I have had fantastic results with Nox Ich and Quick Cure.  Both will turn the water blue, but your fish will get better.  Hopefully you've caught it on time and will not loose any fish.

Please don't get discouraged.  Not everything goes smoothly in the world of fish keeping.  You just have to roll with the punches and learn.  I don't know any successful fish keeper that hasn't lost fish due to not knowing something or making mistakes.  You'll never forget this lesson and will be able to recognize ich much sooner and treat it with the proper medicine.

OrchidNow

I'm getting discouraged because just when I thought the tank is stabilized (and me happily heading out the door to get more fish), something else happens.

I guess I started this thinking that it'll be so cool to have all kinds of fish swimming around.  And it is ending up been even more work and money than having my cat. I got so upset last night and I haven't even named them yet. Guess not naming them doesn't mean not attached.

I raised the temperature last night. And put in some salt. Not sure how I can get more aeration in there. I only have the one. And the medicine will have to wait till I go to BA after work tonight. Here's hoping that my ministration is not gonna hurt them. I always worried that I'm doing stuff wrong and making it worse. :(

BigDaddy

Medication isn't a requirement.  I have cured ich with heat and salt only.  You can treat the whole tank.. but as well you can also put the affected fish in a concentrated bath.  I did this with a ram I rescued, and it worked very well.  The bath will kill the parasites on the fish, and the increased heat and salt in the tank should kill anything still in the gravel etc...

beowulf

Quote from: BigDaddy on September 21, 2007, 08:10:25 AM
Medication isn't a requirement.  I have cured ich with heat and salt only.  You can treat the whole tank.. but as well you can also put the affected fish in a concentrated bath.  I did this with a ram I rescued, and it worked very well.  The bath will kill the parasites on the fish, and the increased heat and salt in the tank should kill anything still in the gravel etc...

That bolded part is important in that make sure after you have treated the tank to do a good gravel cleaning to get as many in there as possible, both dead or alive.

OrchidNow

What's a concentrated bath?

Last night when I was panicking, I google this (before I got any replies here or from a friend) and got..... should remove gravel...should NOT have any gravel, etc I didn't do anything till I talked to a "fish" friend. So much info for a newbie like me....what is real and what isn't?

I did a little gravel cleaning last night (assuming you mean suck the water out from the gravel with the vacuum thingy). Will do more tonight if that's what you mean.

And the water was so warm (close to 86) this a.m. that I worried that the fish will die from the heat! Well, if I don't need medicine, I rather not get it. I'm spending a lot of money for my tank's water!!! In fact, it has exceeded fish cost by 200%.

beowulf

Do not take the gravel out not worth it.  As mentioned here slowly over 24hrs raise the temp to over 85 and add a litte salt.  And keep vacumming the gravel.  You have no loaches right?

OrchidNow

O NO!!! Too late. I raised the temperature from 78 to 86 last night already. DRAT! Slowly is so relative .... :( I thought it meant not straightaway...so did it from 9-11pm last night. If my fish died when I go home tonight, I'm gonna cry.

beowulf

Well if you did it last night and there were alive this morning you should be good.

OrchidNow

I just called my son at home. One of them is dead. ARGH!!!! BOO HOO!!!!

If the other one dies too, should I move the danios to the goldfish tank (only one in there)? Not sure if the goldfish will eat the danios. Not to be pessimistic but so far it seems to be one bad thing after another. And start the whole tank over? Throw water, filter, etc out? Even though I was told that the bateria in the filter should be kept. :( Or maybe I should just quit. :(

PaleoFishGirl

OrchidNow, don't give up! :) Everyone goes through this kind of stuff at first. One day (soon) you will look back on this thread and laugh.

Don't move the danios, if they have been in an ich-infested tank then chances are they might spread it to the goldfish tank.

Fishnut

Agreed.  Definately do not move the danios.  Leave them where they are. 

As for the tank and filter and everything, there's no point in throwing it out.  If you loose your platties, just leave the danios in there for a bit.  Watch to make sure they don't get ich and you will be MUCH further ahead than if you empty it all and start from scratch.

Don't quit.  If you quit, you won't feel the rewards of learning and looking at your accomplishments after you get through all this sad business.  We'll help you.

OrchidNow

I'm literally crying over my fish.  So, what do I do next.... after I take out the dead fish? Do I do another water change although something always seem to happen after one (the last one was 5% only)? Leave them alone? But I can't clean out the gravel without taking out water....which means new water going in.

I feel like a fish murderer....it must be something I'm doing.....they can't all be "sick" fish from the store.

Fishnut

Not to bash stores, but there are usually issues with most live bearers.  Perhaps you were unlucky and the tank you bought fish from wasn't well to begin with.  You really have to watch the fish a lot when you buy them.  Any sign of even one unhealthy fish in the tank could mean that you could be potentially bringing home illness.

Tank the dead fish out and leave the tank alone until you get the proper medicine after work.

When was your last water change?  If it was less than a week ago, leave it alone.  If it was more than a week ago, do another 5% water change.  Make sure you're adding the proper amount of water treatment.

KLKelly

I agree - keep up with it.  This is a learning experience.  You did start off rough but there is a lot to learn.

Do you have a bubble wand or stone in the tank right now?  Maybe the tank has heated up even more since you've been at work - check it when you get home.  I think your heat is too high - I would aim for 80.  This will minimize stress on a sick fish and still speed up the ich lifecycle.

Keeping the gravel clean - daily gravel vacuuming is a must every day during ich treatment. You want to vacuum all of the gravel.  Just make sure to replace the salt in the gallons that you change.

Regarding salt though - how many teaspoons per gallon do you have in now?

I don't think 1 teaspoon/gallon is enough to kill ich.  What is the consensus on the ovas board????

petfisheric

I've been lurking a while, reading OrchidNow's threads. I'm just setting up a 20g myself and don't have much advice to give. However, one of my Sunset Platies gave birth this week. I'd be happy to donate a half dozen or so, once they grow out a bit and you've dealt with the ich.

beowulf

Quote from: petfisheric on September 21, 2007, 04:57:23 PM
I've been lurking a while, reading OrchidNow's threads. I'm just setting up a 20g myself and don't have much advice to give. However, one of my Sunset Platies gave birth this week. I'd be happy to donate a half dozen or so, once they grow out a bit and you've dealt with the ich.

Got to love the OVAS members!!  8)