Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish Suggestions for high ph Communty tank

Started by xiaan, September 21, 2007, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiaan

My GF is looking for 1 or 2 more fish to add to here tank and is looking for a "Centerpiece Fish".  Since she is using well water she has a high ph (8.0) and hard water. I have suggested to here to get a gourami or a angle fish, I was also thinking about giving here one of my two male A. Bitaeniata, but she is concerned about the high ph.

She has a 24x12x20 25G planted tank and so far here current Makeup is:
4 Zebra Danios
4 Rummy Nose Tetras
3 Platies
1 Bulldog Peco

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

beowulf

With a pH like that out of the tap I would have gone African but maybe that is just me  ;)

PaleoFishGirl

Agreed... an African cichlid tank would be much easier with water like that. 

xiaan

Ya after researching a little she now wants and African tank but she doesn't want to get rid of her fish. She also would like a planted tank but I don't think you can have plants with African cichlids.

Zoe

8.0 pH is nuthin  ;D  It is a little high and more suited to Africans, but many fish are highly adaptive. For example, I've spawned and raised Angelfish in a pH of 10.

BigDaddy

Yes.. but she is looking to add to her existing planted tank  :(

Maybe an uncommon Poeciliad or Goodeid?  Like a Butterfly Splitfin?  Just a thought.

Zoe

beowulf

I wonder how some sort of shell dweller would do in the tank.  It would allow her to keep the plants she wants and at the same time get an African fish that will appreciate the pH.

PaleoFishGirl

An angel would look nice but they get a little big for a 25... my mom has one in a 20 and that's definitely not enough room.

fischkopp

How about a pair of Blue Rams? They should be ok with the apisto and fairly adaptable, also BD later is right that they prefer more acidic condition like most of the south americans

Quote from: BigDaddy on September 21, 2007, 07:18:08 PM
Apistos and rams are not a good first choice for ph 8 tank water
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Laura

How about adding driftwood to start bringing down the ph?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

BigDaddy

Apistos and rams are not a good first choice for ph 8 tank water

succinctfish

I agree with BD, the pH is too high for rams or apistos.  What about rainbowfish or kribensis?  They are colourful and would make a nice centrepiece fish.

beowulf

Quote from: succinctfish on September 21, 2007, 09:08:27 PM
I agree with BD, the pH is too high for rams or apistos.  What about rainbowfish or kribensis?  They are colourful and would make a nice centrepiece fish.

Indeed the rainbows would be great and the water is not a problem for them as I have 6 with my africans at 8.5pH.

KLKelly

Most rainbows need a long tank. They are fast fish that love to school and swim.  Zoom Zoom. This site is one of the best out there: http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Contents.htm  Maybe there is one that is suitable in a 25 gallon community tank.  I love rainbows!  There is a dwarf neon rainbow - http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Praecox.htm

I only keep the small rainbows: threadfins (Iriatherina werneri) and blue eyes (pseudomugil signifers and gertrudae). I keep these tanks on water I get from my mom's in the city.  I converted from well water after months of problems.  I haven't lost a threadfin since the switch.  I lost some blue eyes recently when I moved the tank upstairs and had to change a lot of the water :(  The smaller rainbows don't do well with big water changes either.  I don't do more than 10% a week.  They also are sensitive to water (nitrates)/stress and in these conditions are susceptible to health issues like columnaris.  The threadfins should really be in a species only tank.

Oceanne

Quote from: Laura on September 21, 2007, 07:15:48 PM
How about adding driftwood to start bringing down the ph?

Hi there!  Xiaan's GF here..  Finally joined the fun..  ;D

I do have 3 pieces of driftwood in there..  PH used to be about 8.2 before that!! 

When I measured the pH out of the tap, it is about 7.0..  But when I put it in with the gravel, it goes up to 8.something..   :-\ And no, I don't have the wrong type of gravel (I've double-checked)!  I figure maybe something happens with all the stuff dissolved in there (really hard water) and the gravel?!

How would gouramis get along with the danios?  Read the danios don't do well with long fin fish..

kennyman

My suggestion would be a couple of shrimp. They would help pickup after the other fish, fit in the tank properly, and supply enough interest to act as a feature  :)