Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fish for 33gal?

Started by irene, September 22, 2007, 07:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irene

So my albino bichir is sold pending pickup to audioslave_36, sounds like she's going to an awesome home too, he's setting up a 120g for her!

I now have room to stock that tank with fish that are actually suitable for a 33g. :)  Currently contains 4 zebra loaches (b.striata) and 1 BN pleco.  Was thinking of adding another 3 or 4 zebra loaches.  Maybe they'd come out more if there was more of them?

Also BA's had wood catfish for sale, they're supposed to grow to a max of 7 inches.  So maybe 1 wood cat + few more zebras?

I also really like blue botias, but I think a 33 would be too small, right?

Would love to get some opinions!

Irene

Nerine

I was at BA Innes and they have woodcats...I was poking around a bit and can't find any info on them! But if they are anything like my Zamora Woodcats then they do MUCH better with company. I have EIGHT and I see them only at 4:30am when they are out for food! You'll never see just the one!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

sas

What about getting something that will use the top and mid portion of your tank?
   I'm thinking of a nice school of tetras, Pristella,rummy nose,cardinal, even bloodfin are nice.
   or for the very top ...hatchetfish.
Another suggestion would be white cloud mountain minnows or a rasbora of some sort? hth Sue

BigDaddy

irene.. one thing to consider:  turning space

A 7 inch fish isn't going to be very happy in a tank that is only 12 inches wide.

DavidJohnson

Your zebra loaches would probably come out more with a good dither fish.  I'd probably add a few more zebra loaches and then add a school of tetras or harlequin rasboras as dither fish.  6-8 zebra loaches and a school of 12-15 small tetras would look nice in that tank.

Laura

I agree with DavidJohson, although would go for slightly lower stocking levels.  I would add a couple more zebras and a school of attractive small danio like a choprae (8 or so of them). 
Check loaches.com for suggestions on dithers, as I think zebras like a higher current in the same way clowns do.  May I suggest adding an extra powerhead for them?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

irene

So sounds like wood cats would not be suitable. :(  Would that tank be too small for maybe 3 blue botias?  I also saw leaf fish at BA's might be nice for the upper levels.  Don't think they would bother the zebra as the zebra stay on the bottom pretty much.

I don't really care for schooling fish much, would rather get something unusual.

I think what I REALLY need is a bigger tank, like a 90 or somthing ;D ;D ;D  I'm working on my husband... ;)

Irene

irene

I do have a power head running in that tank, so there is a nice current running through.  Do zebras come out more if there are more of them?

Irene

Brine

I guess it depends on what you want from your tank. Part of my stock list in my 90G: I have 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 7 Scissor-tailed Rasboras, and 20 Cherry Barbs. Both schools of Rasboras are great, they stay in schools but the Cherry Barbs are generally just randomly dispersed through the tank. In hind site the Barbs were not such a good idea for me because I wanted something that stayed in a tighter school.
I also have four Clown Loaches, a Regular Pleco, and a Rainbow Shark. They are sort of bonus when tank gazing. I love when I watch a Loach enter the rock pile only to come flying out again with the shark in hot pursuit. The Loaches are faster and don't seem overly bothered by the Shark. They usually outdistance the Shark then turn around and go right back into the rock pile. I think they might just be bugging the shark for fun. I also have two Otto Cats for extra cleaning crew. I still want to get one or two more oddball fish but I don't know what yet.
Good luck with your tank.

Heidi

The leaf fish are nice but they are very quiet fish - do not like alot of action going on and are very shy. Really cool to watch them eat guppies tho. You would need to provide alot or at least some top cover hiding places for them to hide in as they are ambush hunters (I used to hang some plastic plants upside down from the canopy with the leaves and such dangling into the water). They are more suited to a species only tank as they will eat anything small enough to get in their mouths!!! I've had them in the past before...they can be sensitive too if stressed. I went thru several until I found out specifically what they liked, what freaked them out or not and what they liked to eat. I don't remember if mine at flakes or pellets. I think I may have had a pleco or raphael cat down the bottom but that was about it.
Have fun picking out what you want.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

Nerine

Yes you must go bigger ;) and then get lots and lots and lots of woodcats!!!

you could go with some schooling fish to give the tank some more action! :) or something to bring out the ones you already have!!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Laura

Quote from: irene on September 22, 2007, 08:29:24 AM
I do have a power head running in that tank, so there is a nice current running through.  Do zebras come out more if there are more of them?

Irene
I would assume so, although not speaking from experience.  You may want to ask beowulf, I think he keeps botine loaches.

So now I'm trying to think of a single showpiece fish that likes current.....I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

irene

So it's decided!  I picked up 4 more zebras and 3 porthole catfish.  They're really cute!  I looked up some info on them and it said: peaceful shoaling species, max size 4", more active during the day than other catfish.  Seems like a good fit.

Here they are photo 1,  and their new home photo 2.  :)

Irene

[attachment deleted by admin]

Laura

What a pretty tank!  I like portholes too.
Are you using CO2 in your tank, or just good lighting for the nice plants?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

irene

I use DIY CO2 consisting of 2 soda bottles run into the intake of the powerhead.  I switch one to a new brew every 4 days or so and also dose a bit of excel to make up for any inconsistencies.  For whatever reason this tank is consistently algae free, more so than my pressurized CO2 tank.

Irene

dan2x38

Beautiful tanks as always Irene nice work! Sounds like a nice combo the Zebras will likely come out more... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

Jeff1192

17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

jodes22

irene

I'm happy with it, the fish have settled in nicely and are out and about!  The zebra loaches have completely cleaned up a major pond snail infestation, not a snail in sight! ;D ;D

Irene