Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Changing Tank

Started by leng, September 22, 2007, 12:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leng

If I were to move everything from one tank to another (including 50% of the water), what should watch out for?  Any cycling required?

babblefish1960

Well, having done this sort of thing more times than I can actually remember, I would suggest your biggest concern would be not to drop anything.  ;)  Everything will be wet, and if you try and carry it all at once, and you're like me, clumsy,  ::)  well...it can get horrible, I even fell on a tank once.  Other than that, you should be relatively fine. :)

leng

Aha, I hope that you didn't break your tank!  My tank is a 75 gallon tank so I won't be trying to carry anything all at once :P  I assume I can just put all the fish in the new tank as soon as everything from the old tank is moved to the new tank?

Laura

If everything includes your filter and all the media, then I expect you'll be fine (excepting of course babble's warnings) ;)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Brine

I also have done this more times than I like to remember. This is what I did.

1. Get as many buckets as you might need (they sell 5 gallon buckets in the paint section at Home Depot or Rona, with lids for a reasonable price)
2. Half or 2/3 fill a bucket with water from the tank and put your fish in it first. This is so the fish don't get stressed out as you tear apart their environment. I put a lid on it and put it out of the way so the fish are less likely to be surprised by movements and vibrations outside the bucket.
3. Depending on how many fish you may need to use more than one bucket to avoid overcrowding while you complete the move. Also you can get chemicals to reduce the stress on the fish if you are going to make a long distance move or leave them in the buckets for more than a couple of hours. I only used this when I moved over 600km.
4. Do the same for plants
5. Another bucket for rocks and decorations.
6. DO NOT forget to turn off the heater and pump before you drain the tank. I did and the heater cracked. OOPS. Drain all the water into buckets for reuse in the new tank (good time to do a water change)
7. Another for substrate. This is also a perfect time to redo/replace substrate or decorations or plants etc.
8. Remove the filter and heater and air bubbler if you use one
9. Carefully move the tanks around (if you are indeed moving tanks as well)
10. Reverse the process.
11. Substrate and water in the new tank
12. Rocks and decorations
13. Plants
14. Filter/heater
15. Fish

There is some good advice on this thread as well
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=20440.0

Works for me....Good luck

sas

LOL...Done this too ;),not sure what fish you might be moving but make sure you can account for all bodies. Pleco, catfish, loaches etc. have a nasty habit of hiding in wood and gravel then showing up at the most inopportune moments :D.
     Remember to treat your filter media with the utmost respect, leave it wet and dirty for now til your new tank settles.
      Bigger tank eh :). I'm jealous  :).

leng

Thanks for all the advice!  As for upgrading to a bigger tank?  I am actually going with a slightly smaller tank.  I've been thinking about getting the 4 foot ADA tank.  All glass and no bracing at all.  It's a few inches shorter than my current 75 gallon tank  so it holds less water.  Given the strength of the Canadian dollar, it's the perfect time to make the purchase.  At least I am trying make myself not feel too guilty about buying such an expensive tank.

babblefish1960

Well congratulations on your exorbitant and fantastic upgrade, I am sure you will love it, and of course, a little smaller is not too bad, so long as you don't overcrowd.  Good luck with the transfer, you must take pictures of the new tank so we can all covet it properly. ;D

leng

Quote from: babblefish1960 on September 22, 2007, 03:59:05 PM
Well congratulations on your exorbitant and fantastic upgrade, I am sure you will love it, and of course, a little smaller is not too bad, so long as you don't overcrowd.  Good luck with the transfer, you must take pictures of the new tank so we can all covet it properly. ;D

For sure!