Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need help identifying new fish Updated pictures

Started by renadia, September 23, 2007, 12:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

Bought used 75 gal yesterday, it came with these fish, can you help in identifying them?
In the second picture there is an Angel I think the fish in the 4th picture is a Silver Dollar

Updated pictures 4 and 5 better view

[attachment deleted by admin]

BigDaddy

Pic 2 is an angel fish and a clown loach

Pic 3 appears to be a gourami

Pic 5 looks to be a fuzzy pic of a cory of some kind

dan2x38

Pic. #1 could the bottom one be some type of barb?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

renadia

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 23, 2007, 01:46:39 PM
Pic. #1 could the bottom one be some type of barb?
He's hyperactive just goes crazy from one end to the other and even bumps in the glass :D

plecoL83

pic 3 is a blue opaline gourami, grows six inches ph 6.5, ditto what big daddy said for 2/5

renadia

Quote from: plecoL83 on September 23, 2007, 08:20:19 PM
pic 3 is a blue opaline gourami, grows six inches ph 6.5, ditto what big daddy said for 2/5
Oh god  :o What is it with me getting all these big fish, now there's no way I'm getting a bigger tank :D :D I like cute little fish with all kinds of cute colors! Thanks for the info  :) I will have to start seeling some fish, all this just to bring in my Koi's.

renadia

Quote from: BigDaddy on September 23, 2007, 12:53:08 PM
Pic 2 is an angel fish and a clown loach

Pic 3 appears to be a gourami

Pic 5 looks to be a fuzzy pic of a cory of some kind
:D :D :D How many of these are going to be big fish?
Thanks for the info. I updated the last 2 pictures for a better view. :)

dan2x38

Quote from: renadia on September 23, 2007, 10:52:06 PM
:D :D :D How many of these are going to be big fish?
Thanks for the info. I updated the last 2 pictures for a better view. :)

The cory will stay small...
Voltaire:

Nerine

clown loaches seem to grow slowly...so you're ok for now ;) but if you ever want a home for it...I'm first hehe
how big are the fish now?

ps - the barb looks like a rosey barb
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

renadia

Quote from: Nerine on September 24, 2007, 06:15:47 AM
clown loaches seem to grow slowly...so you're ok for now ;) but if you ever want a home for it...I'm first hehe
how big are the fish now?

ps - the barb looks like a rosey barb
I will keep in mind for the clown loache  ;)  it is a nice looking fish.
They are about 3 to 4 inches, the plecos a bit longer and angel a bit smaller

KLKelly

Clown loaches love being in groups - it would be good to have a home with others.  The loach site recommends at least five.  They shadow each other and school and develop a pecking order.  That's one of the fish I'm waiting on for my spare tank which seems like I will never be able to set up.

Here's the info sheet on them.... http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

beowulf

HOw many clowns do you have?  They like being in groups of 5 or more.  As mentioned they do get big, in the 10 to 12 inch range but once they reach about 5-6 inches the speed of their growth slows down.

renadia

Quote from: KLKelly on September 24, 2007, 01:53:08 PM
Clown loaches love being in groups - it would be good to have a home with others.  The loach site recommends at least five.  They shadow each other and school and develop a pecking order.  That's one of the fish I'm waiting on for my spare tank which seems like I will never be able to set up.

Here's the info sheet on them.... http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus
Thanks for the info, I quickly looked at the site and will look into it more. With the assortment of fish I acquired with these 2 second hand tanks I'll have to research which I will keep to ensure the gang that will stay in the 75g will have a good environment. It's getting complicated  :D

renadia

Quote from: beowulf on September 24, 2007, 01:54:38 PM
HOw many clowns do you have?  They like being in groups of 5 or more.  As mentioned they do get big, in the 10 to 12 inch range but once they reach about 5-6 inches the speed of their growth slows down.
There is only 1. They had 1 fish of each kind except for the plecos they had 2.

dan2x38

Also keep in mind to bring Koi inside to winter they are a huge bio-load on the filter... that alone makes it hard to keep with other fish... Koi are temperate fish the others you have are tropicial...
Voltaire:

renadia

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 25, 2007, 11:46:23 PM
Also keep in mind to bring Koi inside to winter they are a huge bio-load on the filter... that alone makes it hard to keep with other fish... Koi are temperate fish the others you have are tropicial...
This has been such an adventure, all for my Koi ;D I set up the 75 gal in the living room thinking of using it for Tropicals but the glass is scratched (yep the guy told me it was the best way to clean dirty glass that all the petshops do it  ::)) There are also 2 places where drops of water leak it looks like the seal of glass and top black contour so I can't fill right up with water, the Fluval 404 is noisier than the Fluval 404 that goes with the 55 gal. So now the plan is to bring the 75 gal downstairs for the Tropicals, put the 55 gal upstairs for the Koi and maybe add another filter (don' t know what kind) But definitely it's 1 tank tropical and 1 tank tempered.

KLKelly

How big are the koi - you might need more filtration on the 55 than just the cannister filter.

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: renadia on September 26, 2007, 11:46:26 AM
the guy told me it was the best way to clean dirty glass that all the petshops do it  ::))

Why, what did he tell you to do??

renadia

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on September 26, 2007, 12:24:40 PM
Why, what did he tell you to do??
Yep you heard right! While he was showing me all the stuff that came with the tank he showed me 2 big razor blades and told me it was the best way to clean glass!! (they were part of the things that went in the garbage) He seemed convinced it was the way to do it. The tank was half way empty there were 4 other people around and I didn't see the scratches before I set it up at home :-[ in my nice living room. So now I'm stuck with seeing all those scratches every time I go up or down to the family room (That's ofter in a split level with kids)  >:(

renadia

Quote from: KLKelly on September 26, 2007, 12:21:08 PM
How big are the koi - you might need more filtration on the 55 than just the cannister filter.
The Big Cahuna is around 8" the other 4 are around 3 to 4 " and they have 5 goldfish friends that will be sharing the tank. In the pond they have 3 froggies living with them  :)