Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Any cichlids that would be happy in a 15g tank?

Started by Oceanne, September 23, 2007, 05:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceanne

Looking to use my hard water, high pH and old tank! 
Yes, I've contracted the MTS..  ;)
My old tank is a 15g.  From what I've read, no African cichlid seems to like anything smaller than a 25g..   :-[  I'm definitely wanting to use my old tank..
Is there ANY African cichlid that wouldn't mind the 15g?   ???

Thanks!

beowulf

Check out shell dwellers.  You could have a small colony in a 15g tank.

markw

Shelldwellers are an excellent option. Not to sound too obvious, but I will have some fish at the auction tomorrow evening including some Telmatochromis temporalis. They would do fine in a 15gal. with good filtration, but you do need shells. Either barnacles or good sized similar shells so that they can hide. They actually share the same shell(Mand F) and lay their eggs inside the shell to hatch. But I wouldn't try anything other than some sort of shell dwellers, as most cichlids need space.
Good Luck
markw

Oceanne

Thanks for the suggestion!  Shell dwellers it will be!!
:-*

sniggir

Most of the Julies can be quite happy in a 15-20gal...just aslong as you have a tone of rock work they are happy
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Oceanne

Just checked out julies..  They seem quite interesting too!  Need more tanks..  Too bad they don't mix..  Won't julies get a bit big though for a 15g?

Sue

Quote from: Oceanne on September 25, 2007, 07:49:07 PM
Just checked out julies..  They seem quite interesting too!  Need more tanks..  Too bad they don't mix..  Won't julies get a bit big though for a 15g?

A lone pair of J. transcriptus, or J. ornatus would be small enough.