Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Update: Injured Angel

Started by renadia, September 23, 2007, 10:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

Our Angel is doing good  :) there seems to be like a bit of some flesh that hangs out, looks weird. The side that is not injured you can see that inside it's bruised. But the fin  (what is left of it is moving at the same rhythm as the good side, he's eating and swimming around his Pirate tank ;D Sometimes just a bit sideways  :) He or she is living in my sons Vincent's room (he was with me the other night at the meeting) I'm adding Melafix to the tank every night, how long do I add this?  We are feeding him flakes, the only thing causing a problem is the eater it just heats the water to much so then I unplug it but then it gets a bit cool. I will try the other one tomorrow.

The water is in good condition no Ammonia or Nitrate! Thanks to Laura and Dan for the seeded filter media and Kelly who lent us a filter and was just so nice to bring it at my house (our wasn't working) I added some pictures. So I guess there's a good chance the rest of the fin will grow back  :)

Poor little guy, got him yesterday in 75 g  used tank I bought.

I"m pretty sure he was not injured earlier today, one of his small fins is completely gone  :'(. It's still moving and he ate when I Fed them. I have not seen any of the other fish attack him. I have seen the gourami and the one that's hyper poke the silver one.

Should I put him in the 55g with the parrots, I have read on line that they get along, or should I leave him there. I have some Melafix and I'm thinking of treating him with that tonight. Also I find he has a lot of red in his eyes, is that normal or could that be injuries  ??? They were like that yesterday. I took some pictures to show you. the fish in the 4th picture is the one I'm thinking might have done this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

KLKelly

Has anyone replied yet.

Just in case I've emailed a friend of mine that keeps angels to ask if it will still be able to thrive without a pectoral fin. I hear that once a whole fin is gone I don't think it will grow back.   I am not sure how he would be able to get to food and stay vertical without it.  I've also asked if she thinks that the fish will end up needing to be euthanized.  Hopefully the answer is no.

I think he needs to get out of that tank or he'll get more injuries.  Most likely another fish ate that fin off.  I'm worried the ammonia and nitrites in the other tank will be too much for him though.  Would he fit in a breeder net at the top of the tank in the 77 or would he be too big for that.  They are about seven inches long and five/six inches high.  I have an extra one of these.

If someone is willing to take him and give him a shot - I'll lend a 10 gallon tank for qt and bring it to the meeting tonight if it helps at all. I have a spare filter also.  I just don't have safe cycled filter media.

Poor little guy.  He looks so adorable.

renadia

No one has replied  :( except you.  :) I also have a 10 gal not setup and don' have that net you were talking about. There is still like a little bone and a little long piece of what would of been his fin and that moves at the same rhythm as the other. He swims slowly but stays vertical and he eats. I put food right were he was twice last night and he made his way slowly. I don' t know about Angels and if he should be swimming fast or if this gliding in the tank is typical. I wanted to transfer the TinFoil and the BloodParrot that is not sick in the 75g to offload the 55g the 2 BloodParrot that had HITH are doing much better but I have not had anyone really respond to see if this would make sense. Maybe he would of been better in there. I felt bad leaving this morning, just hope he's not going to be picked on by the others, it's a big tank with no plants for him to hide in. I will be at the meeting tonight. Hope to meet you there  :)

KLKelly

I feel better when injured fish eat.   Maybe his fin will grow back then : )

I'll at least bring the breeder net - most likely it will be too small for him.  He looks like a big boy/girl in your pictures.

Lucie

Poor little angel. I'm getting really depressed myself with 2 more rescued angels that I got saturday, plus my 2 first ones have worms. The two new rescues are not faring very well in my 55 g. I don't think they'll make it. I already have the first 2 in the hospital tank, don't want to move the 2 new ones there, for risk of contagion. I would have gladly housed yours, but right now I would fear for his life, given my present concerns. Let's all talk at the meeting tonight!

Laura

I would suggest setting up your 10 gallon for the angel.  If you need a spare filter, I'm sure someone will lend one to you if you ask on the classifieds (or you may pick one up cheap tonight).
I can bring you seeded media to start the filter if you need it.
My focus would be on supplying very clean water to let his injury heal.  Personally, I would add an antifungal if you have it, and possibly a Tbls of aquarium salt to the water.  I had a cory grow her tail back after it was chewed right down to just the spines of her tail.  She's going great now.
Good luck and let me know if you need media.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

renadia

Quote from: Laura on September 24, 2007, 03:14:32 PM
I would suggest setting up your 10 gallon for the angel.  If you need a spare filter, I'm sure someone will lend one to you if you ask on the classifieds (or you may pick one up cheap tonight).
I can bring you seeded media to start the filter if you need it.
My focus would be on supplying very clean water to let his injury heal.  Personally, I would add an antifungal if you have it, and possibly a Tbls of aquarium salt to the water.  I had a cory grow her tail back after it was chewed right down to just the spines of her tail.  She's going great now.
Good luck and let me know if you need media.
I sure will accept the media  :) I have a 10 gal and a filter that I haven't used in a while and will check to see what I have for filters. When I get home I will setup the tank and take water from the 75 g so the change will not be to great. Don't know if I had a heater for that one, what water temparature should I have it?

See you at the meeting  :)

Laura

I'll bring you a sponge.
Not sure what temp angels like - I would guess typical tropical temp 76-78 or so, but do a search to confirm.

Cheers,
Laura
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

renadia

Thanks Laura and Dan for the seeded media  :) We comlpeted the setup last night (me and my son, the hospital tank is in his room) The angel seems to like the new plants. I also added the heater but the filter would not start. Posted in the classified adds for a filter because he will need to be in there for a while.

dan2x38

Is the filter an Aqua-Clear? You can take the motor off by twisting it carefully counter clock wise... clean the impeller... think it was Bewulf siad you can use a Bic pen refill to get it spinning again just stick it inside by the impeller & give it a little push... most filters come apart if it has sat awhile the impeller may just need to be cleaned and/or be pushed started... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

renadia

He has survived and doing pretty good  :)

dan2x38

Voltaire:

Laura

That's great. :)
I would continue to treat with melafix, with a focus on keeping the water pristine.  S/he's quite early in the healing process, but it's very encouraging that there's no infection.
I think melafix is a 7 day treatment, and since it is so weak, I tend to use it as a preventative more than a treatment.  Following the 7 days, I would do a good water change and start all over again until you see some fin growing back.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Toss

The red eye is normal. It is their natural colour. The fin will grow back, but it will take time. If you can, feed him with a lot of blood worm. two days bloodworm, one day flakes.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

renadia

Quote from: Toss on September 29, 2007, 12:39:14 PM
The red eye is normal. It is their natural colour. The fin will grow back, but it will take time. If you can, feed him with a lot of blood worm. two days bloodworm, one day flakes.
Good to know I will go to BA and buy some blood worm for him after what's happened might as well give him the best  ;)

dan2x38

Quote from: renadia on September 29, 2007, 02:49:37 PM
Good to know I will go to BA and buy some blood worm for him after what's happened might as well give him the best  ;)

Get the frozen blood worm... if you do not want to and get the freeze dried soak it in treated water first then feed them...
Voltaire:

Toss

Buy the slab not the cube .... they put in some kind of jelly material in the cube to prevent it from exploding when they freeze it. Nothing extra in the slab, which is better and more worm. Brake the slab in small pieces and put into a ziplock freezer bag.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS