Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cichlid behaviour

Started by fyrebull, September 24, 2007, 11:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrebull

I am new to the African Cichlids, but I am really enjoying these quirky fish, can someone with more expertise perhaps help me out with some of there behaviour, I have a larger "Kenyi" juvi male, who will lay flat on the bottom of the tank on his side and vibrate to the point of causing a big cloud of sand around him or else, he backs himself into the rock caves and spits sand at any fish that comes to close to him is this normal for these fish?

babblefish1960

Yes it is normal behaviour, you are witnessing some of the skills they employ for attracting females for the purpose of...well...you know...the perpetuation of the species sort of stuff that fish tend to have a yen for. :-[

The spitting rocks is a little of remodeling that he is doing to find the perfect array of that homey feel, as there is an instinct to build hollows so that when they do have free swimming fry, it is easier to keep them corralled from predators and strong currents that may scatter them outside of the ability to protect them.

Good luck and enjoy the ingenious behaviour.

darkdep

It's more than that, many male africans essentially dig "nests" to use as tools to show off to the females (My nest is bigger and more impressive than his, etc).  It's fascinating to watch.  Especially when you have several males of a larger size; your substrate is constantly in motion and they can build mountains of surprising height.

beowulf

Quote from: DarkDep on September 25, 2007, 10:07:39 AM
It's more than that, many male africans essentially dig "nests" to use as tools to show off to the females (My nest is bigger and more impressive than his, etc).  It's fascinating to watch.  Especially when you have several males of a larger size; your substrate is constantly in motion and they can build mountains of surprising height.

I totally agree.  My afra was a huge digger, almost to the point of the bottom of the tank.  It seemed to work as both females have held in the last couple of months.

kennyman

the male kenyi I had loved to dig. So much so that he dug a cave on both sides of the tank and claimed the entire 48x12 footprint for his territory. I liked the contrast between the blue females and yellow males but found them unsuitable tankmates for the less fiesty mbuna I had in the tank with them. As he matured he would come up and push at the glass trying to fight with me!