Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cycling My Tank

Started by neon, September 26, 2007, 11:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

So far, my ammonia spiked, then dropped to 0, now my nitrite is high and my nitrates are climbing.  Where in the cycle am I and about how much longer should it be?  Its a fishless cycle.  As far as I know, my nitrites should drop, then I can do a water change and slowly add fish. 

dan2x38

There is no set time frame. It should take between 4-6 weeks but might be longer. It also depends on how much NH3 you were and are adding. To much NH3 makes it longer to little the NO2 bacteria grows slower from lack of being feed.

The NO2 must spike then drop to zero it takes the longest. After NO2 spikes and drops to zero add some more NH3 test 12-24 hrs. later to insure NH3 & NO2 are at zero. Then you can do your water change and add fish. Still add hardy fish and not to many... remember to wait before adding more fish it takes several weeks to ensure the filter is established and handling the bio-load...

You will soon be there! Your fish will thank you...  :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

I think you are almost there!

When nitrates started showing up it was a matter of a few days for me for the nitrites to start coming down.

How high are your nitrates at???? 

neon

I checked last night, I'll check again tonight when I get home and post here.

neon

My ammonia is still at 0, my nitrites are at 2 and my nitrates are at 20.  Am I supposed to still be adding ammonia?

KLKelly

Yep keep adding ammonia - up until the day before you add fish.  I don't think your nitrites have spiked yet.

The person that wrote the article I followed on fishless cycling wrote that she thought she was almost cycled on day 26 but nitrates started acting wierd (going from 40 some days down to five the next) - it took her 44 days to cycle (nitrite to go to zero).

I went back over my notes and the tank that I was cycling had a ton of plants in it - I wonder if thats why it seemed so quick for me. I did it wierd the second time too - I did a big water change when nitrates were high (even though nitrite wasn't 0) and continued feeding ammonia - the nitrites and ammonia stayed at zero.  Maybe again - a plant effect.

The part that sucks about fishless cycling is that you have to be patient.

What kind of fish are you planning on putting in the tank? (the fun part).

neon

Oh, I guess I better get some ammonia.  I was using a shrimp, when the ammonia went down to 0, I threw them out.  I am planning on putting my 2, 5 inch shubunkins and some of their fry from my small pond in there.

sas

Quote from: neon on September 26, 2007, 08:14:34 PM
Oh, I guess I better get some ammonia.  I was using a shrimp, when the ammonia went down to 0, I threw them out.  I am planning on putting my 2, 5 inch shubunkins and some of their fry from my small pond in there.
What tank size are we talking here?

KLKelly

Yep - get real ammonia.  You might have a blip where ammonia shows up again while the bugs catch up.  Make sure it doesn't have surfactants or fragrance. Pure 100% ammonia.  I got mine at home hardware.  I think using pure ammonia would speed up cycling process.

Very cool that you are cycling the tank for the Shubs : )

neon

Its a 33 gallon long.  K, I'll go and get some real ammonia.  How much to I add?

KLKelly

The bioload from 2 shubs and some fry over the winter will be very high in a 33 - fry grow fast.  If you get access to a bigger tank you should do it. Even if its a baby pool in the basement :)  You could still fishless cycle the filter.  What filter is it that you have on the 33.

neon

I'm only planning on keeping 2 or 3 of them, I'll give the rest away.  I have a fluval on the 33 gallon tank.

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on September 27, 2007, 12:04:49 PM
I'm only planning on keeping 2 or 3 of them, I'll give the rest away.  I have a fluval on the 33 gallon tank.

Could always throw a small HOB on the there. Check classifieds...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

Cool.  I guess if you get a blip or the fluval isn't keeping up you could like Dan says - add filtration.
I'd love to see pics of them when they are in the tank.  They are one of my favourite fish.

I just checked with a goldfish guru - she says to get your tank eating 2-3ppm of ammonia a day should be fine.
The article I used to do my fishless cycling: http://thegab.org/Articles/FishlessCycling.html

I bought a dropper.  I knew how ammonia was in 1ml, 2ml, and 3mls.  So If I tested the ammonia in the morning at it was at 1ppm I knew how much ammonia to add to get it up to 3ppm.

Also - once your tank is always eating up 2 or 3ppm in the 24 hour period (goes to zero) just keep adding that premeasured dose of ammonia each day and measure for nitrite and nitrate.  Your cycle may have stalled and have to catch up without shrimp or ammonia to feed it the past few days.