New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A. undulatus, plant contest, put all questions,comments, pictures in here

Started by kennyman, September 27, 2007, 06:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 24, 2007, 11:26:26 AM
Cool development

One of the many shoots coming off my plant started disintegrating.  I took the still green seeds that were developing on the shoot and carefully plucked them off and placed them in a tank just floating on the surface.

Today, at least one of the seeds as started germinating.

So, for those of you interested in AHAP... this plant will give you the potential to reach CAOAC's Expert and Master Aquatic Horticulturalist level as seeds and sexual reproduction are pre-requisites for each level.

Hi BD... I have 2 runners and 2 more springing up... what are the acronyms above? I released some of the seeds on the water surface... could I not dry some out then germinate them? should I rub the 2 stems togeather first do they not have to pollunate?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Ormarr

How long can I expect this shoot to get?  It grew to just about 3 feet in about a week!  Considering I started late and my plant almost died, the leaves have reached about 18 inches now.  I must be doing something right!

dan2x38

How many shoots do you have? Mine has 6 now and they are all floating sort of twisted together rope sytle. Hey BigDaddy how do you do the seed collecting?
Voltaire:

BigDaddy

My seed germinated and I have a mini plantlet going.  It has roots and 3 small leaves already.

If you want your plant to do better, cut off the shoots.  If you want to try to propagate it, leave them.

dan2x38

Voltaire:

Kats

My plant is doing well too (and it looks like yours Dan!)  I've had 3 shoots so far but, not knowing what they were doing, I cut them off after a while.  I have another now so I'll leave this one on and pluck the seeds to see if I get lucky with baby plants too!!

BigDaddy

Quote from: dan2x38 on December 28, 2007, 02:35:17 PM
How does it propagate?

The spathe will flower and then produce seeds as shown in a pic somewhere in this thread.  I am just too lazy to find it right now  :)

Laura

I have no seed stalks, but my plant is very attractive.  Its leaves are well over 24" long, and there's about 20 leaves.  I like it a whole bunch.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

I am like Laura I really like this plant! In May are we suppose to uproot it to be judged? :(
Voltaire:

Nerine

welllllll I love the look of this plant but I think my catfish are playing in it!! the leaves are torn and it's back to being really short again!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH I took it out of the tank and threw it in a bucket :P I have to dig up a lamp and I'm going to try and grow it large in a bucket, I have some other plants in there too that are tiny that are being harassed by the zamoras! I think they just play rough and the plants take a hit for it LOL

May needs to be a little further off ;) my plant is maybe 4 inches tall LOL
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

That's better than mine Nerine.  I have it in a great planted tank and it looks like a mix between the undulatus and corkscrew Valesneria!  I have no idea what's going on with it!  All the new leaves are coming up twisty.

dan2x38

Did some prunning today cut off 7 of those shoots. I saved the flower tops to dry out the seeds. Maybe I can propergate a plant via seed?
Voltaire:

BigDaddy

You don't need to dry out the seeds.  I pulled the seeds from my shoot when they were still green.  In fact, the plantlets I have still have the green husk attached to them.

dan2x38

Is this Aponogeton go into a dormant period? There was a discussion whether it is a Aponogeton crispus or Undulatus.
Voltaire:

BigDaddy

It is NOT A. undulatus that's for sure.  Crispus and its hybrids don't go through a dormant period, that's what makes them popular for aquarium use.

Nerine

mine did the same thing, looked fantastic, then melted. and it's not the tank, the other plants are doing fantastic. I took it out and dumped it in a bucket with a light and blanket...who knows :P
stupid plant! haha I'm down to about 6 leaves
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

kennyman

No sign of dormancy here. New leaves grow in a bit faster than older ones decline which seems ok to me. But no indication of flowing either  :-\

dan2x38

Mine is growing like mad. It is building up to be a tank buster. Anyone else? I do not know if I can wait until May... LOL I can't put it in my new tank wrong plant origin. I need South Amercian plants for that tank or at least ones that look like they are.
Voltaire:

BigDaddy

Yes, mine outgrew my 75... I had to uproot it, and put it in another tank where it is currently pretty much draping the entire surface because the leaves have gotten so long.

dan2x38

Quote from: BigDaddy on January 09, 2008, 03:02:09 PM
Yes, mine outgrew my 75... I had to uproot it, and put it in another tank where it is currently pretty much draping the entire surface because the leaves have gotten so long.

Do you want another one for that tank? It is a beauty! Mine is in a 38g and out growing it fast no way it will make in there until May.
Voltaire: