Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY co2

Started by sas, September 29, 2007, 11:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sas

I have a couple questions concerning the DIY co2 systems. Does anybody use the finer sugar for their mixes, I'm thinking the sugar that you can get to put on fruit?
      The other question is, is it good to stagger the bottles when using multiple ones? Thanks Sue

irene

I doubt that it would make any sort of difference if you used finer sugar, except maybe more expensive?  I use 2, 2L soda bottle on my 33g high light tank and replace the brew in one every 4 days or so.  Seems to be working OK.

Irene

BigDaddy

If you are running more than one bottle, then yes, it is usually a good idea to stagger them, as one will be in "full production" and the other will either be "ramping up" or "petering out".

The quality of the sugar isn't important.  The quality of yeast is.  Champagne yeast lasts much longer than "quick bread" yeast.

sas

OK thanks :)

Quote from: BigDaddy on September 29, 2007, 12:59:51 PM
The quality of the sugar isn't important.  The quality of yeast is.  Champagne yeast lasts much longer than "quick bread" yeast.
lol and I thought everyone was joking about their champagne brews. I've been using the wrong stuff then. ::)

dan2x38

Quote from: sas on September 29, 2007, 03:37:23 PM
OK thanks :)
                lol and I thought everyone was joking about their champagne brews. I've been using the wrong stuff then. ::)

I use Champagne yeast the mixture produces for max. 3 weeks but I change 1 bottle a week in a 2 bottle set-up... Champagne yeast with stands higher alcol content to 18% that is why it lasts longer... also the Champagne yeast settles to the bottom were the bakers/brewers yeast raises to the top risking a line being clugged... if interested in the photo gallery is the set-up I use...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."