Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Nano planted "tank"

Started by leng, September 29, 2007, 09:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leng

I have been thinking about creating a nano size "tank" for a while...here it is.  We'll see if the plants stay alive.
size - 8" X 3" X2-1/2" (less than 1 litre)
substrate - sand

[attachment deleted by admin]

sas

Very interesting leng. Is that a household Pyrex dish or a piece of laboratory equipment?
   I've been looking for a smallish antique type container to try this but nothing yet.
   Are you going to be using just natural light? Wondering too about the rate of water evaporation?
   Anyway nice job!

beowulf

leng

Quote from: sas on September 30, 2007, 05:38:09 AM
Very interesting leng. Is that a household Pyrex dish or a piece of laboratory equipment?
   I've been looking for a smallish antique type container to try this but nothing yet.
   Are you going to be using just natural light? Wondering too about the rate of water evaporation?
   Anyway nice job!

I bought the container at WalMart and I think it is made for holding candles.  It's in the section where the vases are kept.  Yep, natural light, and I am using Flourish Excel.  I am sure that I would have to top up the water frequently.

Quote from: beowulf on September 30, 2007, 08:34:22 AM
Want some interesting nano tanks check these out.
http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0603.php

Cool.  So tiny!

dan2x38

Both you have tweaked my interest... Leng don't ya hate when some one copies/steals your ideas...  ;) Nice pico/nano tank!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

kennyman

heh almost like submerged bonsai  ::)

fischkopp

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

I grew some bonsai several years back pruning roots especially the main tap root to control growth...

Leng how do you best control the growth of the plants in a Nano/Pico tank?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

leng

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 30, 2007, 08:48:11 PM
I grew some bonsai several years back pruning roots especially the main tap root to control growth...

Leng how do you best control the growth of the plants in a Nano/Pico tank?

I am hoping that the plants will grow.  I think it would be cool it it does well.  The glossostigma is doing fine but the riccia couldn't handle the low temperature by the window so they bit the dust and turned all white.

blizzack1

Quote from: leng on October 01, 2007, 07:40:37 PM
I am hoping that the plants will grow.  I think it would be cool it it does well.  The glossostigma is doing fine but the riccia couldn't handle the low temperature by the window so they bit the dust and turned all white.

Any updates?

leng

Quote from: blizzack1 on February 06, 2008, 03:34:06 PM
Any updates?

That was only an experiment.  I dismantled the tiny setup a few weeks after I had set it up.  The glossostigma did well but the riccia quickly died.  You pretty much have to change water every day with such a tiny setup.