Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15G - heating question

Started by KLKelly, September 30, 2007, 01:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I think its hair algae too.  We will scoop it out as its just on the live sand right now.

The clean up crew is doing a great job hitting the algae.  There are some algae they aren't touching.  I assume there will be enough algae to feed the clean up crew for a bit longer.  With no fish in the tank will the Scarlett hermits ever need to be fed anything?

Also should I be supplementing the water with anything for the live rock?  We use seachem reef salt but just do small water changes of 10%.  I've seen some live rock additives being sold online.  What is the live rock feeding on and will it always stay alive with just a cleanup crew (12 snails and 6 Scarlett hermits?  We haven't added any corals yet.  Once the bad algae is under control we will do this.

We have the lights out to try and help - it still gets indirect sunlight.  A bigger patch of very dark green algae is forming in the back.  Does anyone have a good ID sight for standard algae?

Thank you!

dan2x38

Kerrie so impressed with your progress. I been reading and watching your thread with great interest. Once you got it all the way you want then I will get you to help me on my 1st reef tank... :) Your tank is looking damn nice!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

Dan you are way too nice  ;)  At the least you can learn from my mistakes and my relentless questions.

The white bugs are all moving out of the fuge and are all over the glass.  They move like snails.  I thought they were pods like people mentioned but went looking and found out they are according to someones post on wetwebmedia "a type of flatworm.  They are nothing to worry about.  Enjoy them while you have them as they tend to rise and fall in population, often disappearing all together".  They eat pods.  There is a good amount of them and it sure looks like they are eating the algae on the glass.  They look like the guys paint drawing here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fltwmid.htm

Vallely4

I hope those are them, "a type of flatworm.  They are nothing to worry about." :(

I've got the same worm things on my glass and was scared maybe flatworms,but they appeared the same time as pods and such.  -I'm glad you found this little piece of info
Just a couple days ago when my first frags (...pics to come) were added I got worried, and picked all them off the glass I could see.
I thought I was gonna have to start a rush to find some Flatworm Exit

Thanks Karrie, lol

KLKelly

Thanks for everyones help on shells.  I really didn't know they would pick any shell of a suitable size for a home - I thought they preferred a certain type of shell.  No ones touched the few shells we put in the tank that we thought would fit them.

Well Jacques our favourite hermit - he has a beret type dark pink mark right over his head on the shell has moved into one of the dollar store shells.  This shell is very heavy and has spikes on it so I hope he doesn't get caught on the rocks and is able to move around.  We bought more suitable shells last night and hadn't put them in the tank yet when we saw he had made the switch.  I hope he picks a lighter shell and also hope another crab picks up Jacques shell so we'll still have that shell moving around the tank.

This is so fun!

Karrie

Cheebs

I like it, hopefully he just adapts to that shell.  Cute little guy ;)

dan2x38

Hey KL too cute! He seems happy enough...  :) Nice to see your guys project coming along so well... :) GREAT JOB!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

We moved the PC light right to the level of the tank. The temperature this first day with lighting change is now 79.7 according the the digital display.  In the morning when I turn on the lights the tank is always 76.6.  Is three degree's too much of a difference?  Should I turn the heater up to 77.5ish to keep it more consistent?

Oh and I have a really mean big scarlett hermit really picking on the guys stuck in small shells that he can't possibly fit in.  I wish I could put it in time out grrrr.

RoxyDog

hermits are funny eh?  lol  I watched a "hermit pile" last night...6 hermits, a mix of blue and scarlett all picking on each other.  take him out if he gets too mean?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

mdugly

Quote from: RoxyDog on January 23, 2008, 09:46:24 AM
hermits are funny eh?  lol  I watched a "hermit pile" last night...6 hermits, a mix of blue and scarlett all picking on each other.

Maybe they were just having some "fun" making some 'superman' hermits  ;)