Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY CO2 Bottles Exploding... :-|

Started by dan2x38, September 30, 2007, 05:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

I swapped out a CO2 2 litre pop bottle Monday. I use champagne yeast because it produces CO2 longer. It usually produces up to 18-20 days. I swapped this bottle out at 16 days I wanted a more constant CO2 level in that tank trying to prevent any hair algae. Well I mixed the new bottle added to the generator. I capped the old one sat it aside to mix later on. Now I've done this many times but drained it then made up my mixture minus the yeast sitting it aside. Well last week I spent several days moving plants around and forgot the bottle. My wife was moving some stuff in the kitchen and saw the old bottle I'd left sitting there... LOL It had grown about 3" taller having stretched the bottle... rounded the bottom so it would not even stand... there were stress marks all around the neck... well I but in the large industrial garbage bin by the shop beside me... how I wanted to open it...  ;) thoe bottles are strong... TG
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

I wouldn't have been able to resist leaving it out longer to see if it actually exploded...
or did it explode???
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

No it didn't it is in the bin next door I wanted to put it somewhere to see if it would have a dramatic result...  :D
Voltaire:

kennyman

I had a 5 gal soft plastic container on top of my fridge with a yeast/berry mixture explode once. My poor Girlfriend had quite a mess to clean up and it still stunk for weeks :P  Be glad your wife found that before it went poof  ;D

bitterman

To avoid an explosion some people will ad a T in the line and use a cap. That way the cap over T acts as a blow off valve and produce a much lessor mess.

People have had this problem an it is one heck of a stinky mess to clean up!

Bruce

dan2x38

Quote from: bitterman on October 03, 2007, 12:07:43 PM
To avoid an explosion some people will ad a T in the line and use a cap. That way the cap over T acts as a blow off valve and produce a much lessor mess.

People have had this problem an it is one heck of a stinky mess to clean up!

Bruce

yeah I knew that one this was a bottle I sat aside to clean out ad make a new batch & I forgot it on the floor capped... it sat about a week... LOL I was lucky!  :o
Voltaire:

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

I STILL WANTED TO OPEN IT THOUGH...  :D :o ::) 8)  That little kid in me, no little monster was telling me to do it...
Voltaire: