Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Euro Bracing

Started by darkdep, October 01, 2007, 09:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

As some of you know, I'm on the cusp of building a new 8 foot long 300gallon tank.  I've been reading about "Euro Bracing", which is essentially a frame around the top of the tank made of glass that removes the need for cross bracing.  I like this very much, as cross bracing has often gotten in the way for me.

The question I have, for anyone who has Euro bracing now, is about the physical arrangement.  To build it I would need 4 glass pieces, but I'm just not sure where they go...two long across the front and back, and then do the side pieces silicone in between the front and back or underneath or what?

If anyone knows, please tell!  Pics would be great too if you can...

normc

http://www.conceptaquarium.com/tankoptions.htm
Take a look here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

darkdep

That one still has cross bracing tho...

Aquaviewer

I stopped in at North American Fish Breeders in Toronto in the spring.  The owner was working on a large tank at the time (~150 to 250 gal).  He had 3 to 4 inch wide lengths of glass running around the perimeter of the tank, but I didn't get a chance to see how he made the joints. 

He may be willing to ansewer some of your questions.

Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

az

chris i have euro bracing on most of my tanks, they are more popular with acrylic i think, you can add 4 pcs(i do it but;) or just take 1 big pc and cut off the middle so you have 1 solid 1pc bracing(much better).  minimum 3" is recommended and adding cross bracing would also help a lot.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

speckledmind

Has AZ said, Euro Bracing is more common to Acrylic tanks and is quite nice ( specially for escape artists such as some snails and jumping fish lol ), but on a large tank such as a 300 Gal., I would add cross bracing as well for additional support and to prevent excess bowing.

Funkmotor

You need a good tank maker.  Using a combination of euro-bracing and glass thickness, you can get a tank that won't bow at all.

I know of one tank (the size of which I can't recall, but it was big) that was made with 15mm glass all around with Starphire front and sides and used 20mm glass for the bracing.  I believe the braces were 4 inches wide, about an inch down from the top edge.  No cross or corner bracing whatsoever, and the corner silicon joints were very tight.  Great looking tank.

If you use very thick glass (20mm+), the bracing is minimal to nonexistent.  The key to the whole thing is not how much the tank holds, but how tall it is.

But get a good tank maker.  This isn't the sort of thing you should be looking for a discount on!

darkdep

Well, except it is...this is a project I'm looking to build myself :)

Alchemist

Is it possible to brace glass with acrylic?  Guess not because of the glue?  Just wondering as thick acrylic would be easier to cut than thick glass wouldn't it?

babblefish1960

Acrylic does not adhere with silicone in any stress capacity, especially in tension and shear, which the bracing would have to endure. It must be glass to glass, and I for one, having built many large tanks over the years, have every confidence in Darkdep's attempt, most particularly as he researches well, and will have a number of experienced hands on board for that day.

I feel also that the description that funkmotor illustrates is what in fact I would suggest regarding size and location, and this should work rather well with good jigs and clamps on hand.

speckledmind

Hey Dark,

What is the exact size of the 300 Gal. Tank your looking at building ( l x d x h ) ?

Have you chosen the material from witch it will be builing from ( Glass or Acrylic ) ?

darkdep

Going to start a new thread as this is veering off topic :)