Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Biowheel

Started by fishycanuck, October 01, 2007, 11:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishycanuck

I have a Penguin biowheel filter, a few years old. The biowheel no longer turns (unless I spin it). Is this a problem?

beowulf

If one side is drying out then yes as what bacteria that might be there would die.

darkdep

It'll still work, just at a lower capacity.

fishycanuck

I guess after two years (ish), I should just haul off and get a new one. Thanks!

babblefish1960

The manual in the biowheel booklet will even tell you that if it does not turn, there is not a problem, as the wheel is still functioning so long as you have water passing through the spray bar. It does not need to turn, and it does not lose its effectiveness, and it does not need to be replaced or cleaned. Just ensure that the spray bar inside is still functioning normally, and ignore the rest, the wheel is still working if it does not revolve.

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on October 01, 2007, 01:36:51 PM
The manual in the biowheel booklet will even tell you that if it does not turn, there is not a problem, as the wheel is still functioning so long as you have water passing through the spray bar. It does not need to turn, and it does not lose its effectiveness, and it does not need to be replaced or cleaned. Just ensure that the spray bar inside is still functioning normally, and ignore the rest, the wheel is still working if it does not revolve.

As I said as long as it remain wet things can still live in it.  But if it dried out, ie bar is not wetting it enough then they will die.

normc

Mine stopped working. I checked it carefully and found if I turned the filter media around it started to work again. Th fuzzy stuff was touching the wheel  :-[

kennyman

Either the bushings and/or shaft are done, or the volume coming out of the shoot is not enough. The Wheel itself should still be ok.

Is the flow restricted or diminished?

Have you cleaned the plastic bushings?

I was under the impression that penguin did not have spraybars as that was the upgraded model called Emperor.

fishycanuck

No change in flow, and no spraybar. All of the wheel parts are wet, either from splash or capillary action.
I have not tried cleaning the bushings, that's a good one.
Merci merci

NetCop

I too have a bio-wheel and find that (besides required filter changes) make sure the impeller is clean. This has been the solution to my wheel not spinning as all it needed was that cleaning to give it a little boost in water flow. Those little buggers are like vacuums going over a shoe lace somedays!  ;D