Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water in tank still a problem

Started by renadia, October 01, 2007, 08:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

The fish in my 75 gal are having a hard time, they were panting when I got home today  :(. I did a 1/2 water change last night added 2Xprime and some bacteria.

Today the ammonia is  between 0.6 and 1.2
Nitrite 1.6
Nitrate 110 :o

The tank is not very dirty, I rinsed the filters with the tank water they were pretty dirty. I did another 50 % water change with 2X Prime and added bacteria. I have a Fluval 404. Is there anything I can do to bring down the Nitrite? Will having Rance the filter media help bring down the Nitrate?  :o

Thanks

KLKelly

Two things I can think of is that you are overstocked.  With nitrate that high I would expect your tank is cycled but the bugs aren't keeping up with the bioload of the tank maybe.

How often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing.

Its the nitrite that they are probably reacting to.  It poisons fish. I would do another 50% water change and every day until your nitrite goes down.  I also would feed sparingly over the next few days as you bring it down.

With my goldfish tanks I can add 1tsp/gallon of aquarium salt to protect them against nitrite toxicity - but I don't know if clown loaches or pleco's can handle this.

KLKelly

Actually - you did another 50% water change after you tested the water?  Would that mean nitrite is now .8?

fishycanuck

Keep doing water changes, stop rinsing your filters. I don't know about the salt, wait for someone to help you on that.

KLKelly

I think lightly rinsing the filters to unclog them is a good idea (not every day though) - just when they get gunky.  Don't go crazy rinsing them.

renadia

No Nitrite still 1.6, at least they are not panting anymore, and I did add salt, I have done it before and they don't seem to mind it, maybe that helped they look a better, I was very worried when I saw them earlier. I guess I should get rid of a few of them. I lost 2 BP last week in the 55 gal, I had problem water there also, I guess with them having HITH (it was almost gone) they could not take it when the ammonia started going down and the Nitrate went up.

For the filter it's the first time I have rinsed the media the 2 older pieces were pretty dirty, I taught that a high Nitrate indicated a dirty aquarium. Maybe I retested to soon after the water change. So Prime does not help with the Nitrite?

BigMomma

Poor Diane, still having a hard time I see. KLKelly is right, its most likely overstocked and your filters can't keep up with the load. How often do you feed them? Doing frequent water changes is certainly a good thing.

Plants would help bring the nitrate levels down, you can choose a plant that you can float such as moneywart, pennywart or even duckweed.

Yes, Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate.

KLKelly

I don't think it detoxes all of ammonia and nitrite though.  I'll do some research and see what I find on this.  The FAQ on seachems site is vague - see the last question: http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime_faq.html.  Prime is also good for 24 hours.

I think more frequent water changes (50% a day) will get your ammonia and nitrite under control. Double or triple dose prime.

sas

I'd personally be doing just enough of a water change to bring my numbers down.  With a heavily stocked tank I'm wondering if the 50% water change is causing the cycle to start over or be interupted with such large changes?  Maybe do small changes check you're #'s, if they're not acceptable do more of a water change. Watch how much you're feeding too. Fish don't eat as much as you think. Maybe even stop feeding for a day or so? I've got tonnes of floating plants you could have but I'm a too far away :(.  hth

fishycanuck

The salt is to ward off nitrite poisoning. At issue is whether the salt is safe for some of her fish....

You might also cut down on the feedings.

Water changes will not cause the cycle to restart. There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water... mostly it is in the substrate and filter. That's why I advised not rinsing the filters unless they really really need it.

renadia

Maybe I am feeding them to much  :-\ The barb's gourami and silver dollar just charge at the food, I put enough so the BP and  loach catfish and cory have something left. I will stop feeding for a few days and add a 3rd dose of prime. At least I bought a nice kit to do water changes no more water pails out water pails in doing messes  :D witht he size of aquariums I have this is not a luxury

renadia

Quote from: renadia on October 01, 2007, 09:40:33 PM
Maybe I am feeding them to much  :-\ The barb's gourami and silver dollar just charge at the food, I put enough so the BP and  loach catfish and cory have something left. I will stop feeding for a few days and add a 3rd dose of prime. At least I bought a nice kit to do water changes no more water pails out water pails in doing messes  :D witht he size of aquariums I have this is not a luxury
I did add some pants that I got at the meeting

charlie

Quote75 gal Planted with a big Tinfoil barb, 1 black spot barb, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Silver dollar, 1 blue Opaline gourami, 1 Clown loach 2 plecos, 1 synodonptus and a Cory.
Diane , is this the fish load in the 75 gln, if so i don`t think it is overstocked, i would stop feeding for a few days & then feed very sparingly after.

Maybe a air stone would help too, also Petsmart ( Merivale & Hunt club ) always have Hornwort cheap, a few of bunches in that tank will help soak up the excess nutrients.
Regards

KLKelly

Sorry - I misread about the filters.  I thought dirty meaning gunky (reducing water flow) - I doubt that would be the case with a fluval.  :o I think you meant the water after you rinsed it was dirty.

renadia

Quote from: charlie on October 01, 2007, 09:51:56 PM
Diane , is this the fish load in the 75 gln, if so i don`t think it is overstocked, i would stop feeding for a few days & then feed very sparingly after.

Maybe a air stone would help too, also Petsmart ( Merivale & Hunt club ) always have Hornwort cheap, a few of bunches in that tank will help soak up the excess nutrients.
Regards
Yes that's the fish load. So they won't attack each other if they don't eat for a few days ;) Then feeding them flakes only. As a mom I just feel I have to feed them you know...I have an air stone and will put it in tomorrow. So I guess Hornwort is a plant, I will get some of that, that's probably not what I bought from you at the meeting  ;D
Thanks

renadia

Quote from: KLKelly on October 01, 2007, 09:56:42 PM
Sorry - I misread about the filters.  I thought dirty meaning gunky (reducing water flow) - I think you meant the water after you rinsed it was dirty.  I doubt that would be the case with a fluval.  :o
Yes the water when  Irinced was dirty, coming from the filter it was clear. I just tought very high Nitrate meant the tank was dirty, since it's not I figured cleaning inside the filter a bit would reduce the Nitrate  ??? ??? ???

charlie

Quote from: renadia on October 01, 2007, 09:59:04 PM
Yes that's the fish load. So they won't attack each other if they don't eat for a few days ;) Then feeding them flakes only. As a mom I just feel I have to feed them you know...I have an air stone and will put it in tomorrow. So I guess Hornwort is a plant, I will get some of that, that's probably not what I bought from you at the meeting  ;D
Thanks
No they won`t eat each other  :), Hornwort is a great nutrient sponge & yes it`s a plant , you can float a few & anchor a few in the gravel( call ahead & make sure they have it in stock , i think its like 3.00 a bunch).
Regards

dan2x38

I was at Merivale SmartPet Emerald Plaza Friday they had no hornwort... Petsmart on Innes had a fair bit though...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

RoxyDog

Quote from: charlie on October 01, 2007, 09:51:56 PM

I was thinking that too....doesn't seem overstocked to me?   ???  But then again, I have africans!  lol

Feed your fish every 3 days for now, put a little in for the piggies and then a little more for the rest.  A little.  I feed my africans every 2 to 3 days b/c they are pigs, and I sometimes over feed the sinking pellets the day of my waterchange or something if I think the bottom loaches are not getting enough.  But rarely.

Keep doing large waterchanges, get some hornwort, feed less.  Your fish won't starve to death we promise.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

fishycanuck

Moms learn through fishtanks that not everything has to be fed or cleaned as often as we think.  ;)