Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help with Cycling

Started by neon, October 02, 2007, 04:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

My ammonia is at 0, my nitrites are at 2, and my nitrates are at 20.  Its a 33 gallon tank, and I'm adding a capful of ammonia every day.  Its been reading these numbers for about 4 days, with  no change.  Should I be adding more ammonia?

MikeM

What is your ammonia reading in the tank immediately after you add the cap-full of ammonia?  You want to aim for about 3 ppm.  Your numbers appear to be about normal for the late part of the cycle.  Have your nitrites peaked?

Edit: Are there plants in the tank that could be using the ammonia before it gets a chance to contribute to the cycle?

KLKelly

Your nitrAtes haven't risen at all in four days?

neon

Right after I add the ammonia it reads at 2.  Should I be adding more?  And I don't think my nitrites have peaked yet, they are high, but not the highest on the test card.  And my nitrates have stayed the same

neon

And there are no plants in the tank right now.

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on October 03, 2007, 06:50:13 AM
And there are no plants in the tank right now.

I would bump up the NH3 but do it carefully to much slows down to cycle...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

Yah I would bump up ammonia a bit too - just to see the reaction.  Ammonia bugs are up to speed for 2ppm of ammonia.  If 1 cap is 2ppm then 1.5 caps is 3ppm.  I'd like to see what happens to your nitrite and nitrate. 

neon

OK. This morning, I added 2 capfuls of ammonia, and now, my levels are ammonia 1, nitrite, 1, and nitrate 20. 

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on October 03, 2007, 04:38:58 PM
OK. This morning, I added 2 capfuls of ammonia, and now, my levels are ammonia 1, nitrite, 1, and nitrate 20. 

Before you add any more next take your readings. If NH3 & NO2 are at zero it should be cycled. Add your NH3 dose wait a day test then ya should be ready for a WC and to had some hardy fish.
Voltaire:

neon

Great, I'll check it again tomorrow morning and post here.  Thanks

KLKelly

I wonder why Neon's nitrates are so low? 

Dan - I have to find a way to remember the N acronyms  :)

dan2x38

Quote from: KLKelly on October 03, 2007, 08:58:31 PM
I wonder why Neon's nitrates are so low? 

Dan - I have to find a way to remember the N acronyms  :)

When I did a fishless cycle my NO3 (nitrate) was not enough that high. Nothing replaces the actual ammonia created by life fish waste & respiration, plant decay, & decaying food. He could crush up some flake food and add along with the NH3 (ammonia). His NO3 will raise. Once I added some fish I followed my nitrogen cycle and it took a few days for the bio-filter to adjust. With WCs & Prime my fish did very well within a month I'd add some more fish they were all happy & healthy...

NH comes alphabetically before NO... Make up a poem for the N's: NH - Three is not for me; N - OH -Two buckle your shoe... N - OH - Three Don't let it be... LOL or whatever...  :D
Voltaire:

neon

I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me.  This morning, my ammonia is back down to 0, my nitrites are 1 (going down) and my nitrates are at 10.  I added 1.5 caps of ammonia and will test when I get home tonight.

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on October 04, 2007, 07:11:37 AM
I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me.  This morning, my ammonia is back down to 0, my nitrites are 1 (going down) and my nitrates are at 10.  I added 1.5 caps of ammonia and will test when I get home tonight.

The nitrifying bacteria are working but I am still concerned your NO2 is still not zeroing out. This points to the bio-filter not being colonized enough. The NO2 should spike like dark purple off the chart of your test kit (if it tests as purple). The NO2 spiking just indicates the NO3 is not consuming all the NO2 hence the bio-filter is not handling the full bio-load. It is odd the NO3 dropped instead of remain the same or rise... add some crushed flake food with your NH3 dosing. How long you been cycling now?

What do others think about the NO3 lowering & NO2 not spiking?
Voltaire:

neon

I've been doing this for over a month or so.  The N02 never really spiked, it became the hot pink colour but not the dark purple.  I'm beginning to lose patience with it. 

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on October 04, 2007, 12:31:14 PM
I've been doing this for over a month or so.  The N02 never really spiked, it became the hot pink colour but not the dark purple.  I'm beginning to lose patience with it. 

It is important to stay patient... check out your aquascaping see if it is what you want now's the time to make changes, research plants & fish, check out what size your next tank will be...  ;) Stay the course it will work... just tell yourself that your new fish will love you & be just that much happier!

What fish are you adding? Any plants? If so which ones?
Voltaire:

neon

Its just going to be a holding tank for my 2 shubunkins from my small pond over the winter.  Mabey a couple of low light plants.

neon

Now, my water is reading at about .75 ammonia, about 1 for nitrate and 10 for nitrate.  What gives????

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on October 04, 2007, 04:24:27 PM
Now, my water is reading at about .75 ammonia, about 1 for nitrate and 10 for nitrate.  What gives????

Did you add more NH3? Did you add any flake food? Your filter is populating adjusting to the bio-load...
Voltaire:

neon

No, I didn't add any more ammonia.  I wasn't sure if I should.  And I also did'nt add any flake food.  I saw something at Big Al's called Nitra-Zorb.  It said that it removes ammonia and nitrite.  I'm wondering if I should try some of that.  I didn't buy it yet.  What about adding something that provides live bacteria, like cycle or something like that?  Should I wait until my ammonia is back down to 0 before adding more?  This is all soooo confusing...