Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help with Cycling

Started by neon, October 02, 2007, 04:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Neon - I sent you a pm.  Just keep doing what you are doing for another day or two.

DOn't use nitrazorb or anything.  Your tank will be ready soon.

Since your ammonia eaters are up to speed you could salt the tank to protect against nitrite poisoning if you needed to bring the fish in right away.  I think you have time to get things perfect though.

When do you plan on bringing them in?

dan2x38

Like KLKelly said just keep adding more ammonia you have to feed the filter... add a little more you got to see that NO2 peek...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

neon

OK, I'll keep doing the same.  I think I've got a while to bring them in, they are cold water fish after all...  What about adding that bacteria starter?

KLKelly

I asked around and got some ideas.  If you are using dipstick tests - very high nitrite and nitrate readings will give weird results.

I hear that cycle product is hit and miss.  Didn't work for me.  Maybe in conjunction with fishless cycling it will work better somehow.

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on October 05, 2007, 08:32:58 AM
OK, I'll keep doing the same.  I think I've got a while to bring them in, they are cold water fish after all...  What about adding that bacteria starter?

Don't buy any I can give you 1/2 a bottle. Let me know...
Voltaire:

neon

I checked this morning and my ammonia was 0, my nitrite was going down towards 0, and my nitrate was at 10.  I added more ammonia.  The nitrites were much higher before.  Since my nitrite is going down towards 0, this leads me to believe that it had already peaked and I just missed it.  I added 4ppm of ammonia this morning, see how it is tomorrow.  If my nitrites are down again, do you think its safe to do a water change?

KLKelly

I don't think a water change would hurt.  Try a large one and see what happens.  You have to keep feeding the tank ammonia until you bring in the fish anyways.  Might as well do the water change, add ammonia (pretend you added a fish) and see what happens in your tank.

Will you be bringing the fish in right away once you know its cycled?

neon

Yes, I think so.  I'll try a water change tomorrow and see what happens.  Thanks

dan2x38

How many fish are you planning on adding to start?
Voltaire:

neon

There's just 2 shubunkins going in from my pond.

BigDaddy

You should continue to add ammonia anytime it reads zero as long as you still have nitrite readings.

By the end of your fishless cycle, a day after adding ammonia, you should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and measurable nitrate.  That is when you know the cycle is complete.

neon

I'm still adding ammonia, my nitrites are still the same, around the middle, they just won't budge.  They did seem to be coming down for a bit, but now have gone up, but still no peak.  This has been going on now for a month and a half.  I added about 3 ppm of ammonia yesterday, and this morning the level was still not at 0.  I really don't understand this going up and down and never leveling out.  I havn't added any ammonia yet today, I'll check my readings tonight when I get home.  At this rate, I'll have to bring my shubunkins into the LFS and just forget about the whole thing.

RossW

Have you asked around to see if anyone has any used filter media they could give you?

I could probably give you some floss but arrangements for drop off may be tricky, i.e.: 7:30 AM near Bridlewood.

KLKelly

I am not sure whats going on.  Since you did a large water change, and nitrites reappeared and rose again - It would suggest that you aren't cycled. If a member can donate cycled media - you can add that to the back of your filter and see how that helps.  My main tank that I used to seed my other tanks has a bloated oranda. I would give you some in a heartbeat but I don't want to transfer possible diseases to your tank (I've tried everything but xrays and aspiration).

Do you have a filter on the pond?

Since your ammonia eaters are up to speed - you can add 1tsp/gallon of aquarium/equivalent salt to the tank and this will protect them from nitrite poisoning.  Just add back in salt after water changes (eg change out 30 gallons -add back in 30 tsp) until your nitrites go down to zero.

I would also do a 100% water change (make sure temp and ph are matched to the pond) before you add the fish.

I would be a tad bit frustrated also  >:(

neon

I do have a filter in the pond.  I'll rinse it out in the pond water and see if I can put some of it in the tank.  That might help.  I hope your bloated fish gets better.

dan2x38

Adding cycled media will boast the cycle... I agree with KLKelly add your fish but be careful and acclimate slowly there will be a huge difference in water permetres... test for NO2 and if it is present again do what KLKelly said add aquarium salt... if the NO2 is below 1 ppm then maybe add only 1 tsp. per 5 gallons... if NO2 is much higher then the higher dosage... GF strains can have some sensitivity to high levels of salt... be careful how much you feed when you bring them in to reduce the bio-load until the bio-filter can adjust to handle the new load... actually even while outside less feeding as it gets colder GFs metabolism slows down they need less food...
Voltaire:

neon

Now my ammonia is 0, my nitrites are 1 and my nitrates are 40.  This seems to indicate perhaps my nitrites are on their way down?  I added another 3ppm of ammonia, and I will try to get a piece of my pond filter in there tonight.

dan2x38

Quote from: neon on October 10, 2007, 04:41:08 PM
Now my ammonia is 0, my nitrites are 1 and my nitrates are 40.  This seems to indicate perhaps my nitrites are on their way down?  I added another 3ppm of ammonia, and I will try to get a piece of my pond filter in there tonight.

Seeing the NO3 increase is a good sign... :)
Voltaire:

neon

Hooray!!!  My ammonia is .25, my nitrites are .25, and my nitrates are 5.  I did a large water change and added a bit more ammonia.  Is it safe to add my 2 shubunkins this weekend?

dan2x38

I vote yes test NH3 & NO2 1st... glad your smiling finally...  8)
Voltaire: