Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angels and Apisto compatibilty question

Started by angrycow, October 03, 2007, 01:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrycow

Hi All, I have medium density planted tank with the following:

1 panaque maccus
2 wild caught P leopoldi (3 inches each)
2 otos
2 SAE
2 Corydoras aeneus (1.5 inches each)

the tank is  30 cube (19,18,19) so lots of bottom surface area and the angels seem to appreciate the height and depth.  I'm think of moving, selling or trading the corys and 1 SAE to make room for 2 or 3 a. cacatuiodes.   Would they be compatible with the angels? this is my first foray into apistos so I'm not sure about which apisto would be best.  The angels can get a little testy.

What about also replaceing the 2 corys with 4-5 pandas.  How big do they get? Same as bronzes?

thanks for the advice

beowulf

Apistos tend to stay around the bottom of the tank so there should be no conflict and there are many people around here who keep both together.

PaleoFishGirl

I think the apistos and the angels would be fine together, just give the apistos lots of places to hide.

Panda cories don't get quite as big as C. aeneus, you should be fine with 4-5 and they will like it better in a larger group!

fischkopp

Generally speaking apistos and angels do well together in a good planted tank; i keep 5 young angels together with a pair of agassizis in a 48g. Although both are territorial angels prefer more the middle to surface while apistos usually stay close to the bottom (or just above the decoration). So they share the space in the tank pretty well. Although even small apistos tend to be eager enough to chase the much bigger angels away if they come to closes to their favorite spot.

Your tall tank is definitely great for angels. But with a footprint of only 19"x8" I would say no more than 2 apistos (1 male / 1 female). You should assure approx. 10"x10" minimum territory for each apisto (unless you keep A LOT together) whereas the guys tend to have the bigger territory, which mostly includes several girl territories.

You made a good choice with A. cacatuoides. They are quite hardy and not very aggressive against other species and their own females (my experience). You may want to consider to give both SAE away; I don't have them myself but it is said that they become rough (especially when kept alone) and like to nip on the fins of other fish.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031