Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Inverts/crustaceans?

Started by dan2x38, October 04, 2007, 10:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Being a copy-cat researching & wanting to set-up a nano/peco planted tank... after all wife says no more fish tanks...  ;) I have thinking of some colourful crustaceans in there but have enough cherry shrimp...

What suggestions do any of you have for crabs, shrimps, crayfish, lobster, etc... Thinking of a tank from 1/2g - 2g? Hopefully no heater but can do will have a RedSea nano filter with no serious lighting... simple but attractive...

Actually any suggestions for set-up welcomed substrate, tanks, lighting - Ikea, etc...?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

beowulf

2g or less would only be good for shrimp the rest of the ones you listed are likely going to get to big.

Laura

I agree with beowulf.  A lightly stocked shrimp tank would be fine, although it leaves little room for error.

At the meeting where Colin and Cassandra did their killie presentation, they talked about killies in very small homes - perhaps they're an option?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Fishnut

Agreed.  Some crustations make a game of uprooting plants as well.  Perhaps instead of a colourful shrimp, go for a shrimp with an interesting pattern.  Anything related to Cherry shrimp will work.

dan2x38

Been doing some research anyone have any experience with the, 'Orange Dwarf Crayfish' or any other Dwarf Crayfish? They were given great reviews... Where would one get such little inverts? We do not have a selection here... :( How about the, 'Bumble Bee Shrimp'? Anyone any info. on these characters? Where could they be found?
Voltaire:

beowulf

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 04, 2007, 07:20:12 PM
Been doing some research anyone have any experience with the, 'Orange Dwarf Crayfish' or any other Dwarf Crayfish? They were given great reviews... Where would one get such little inverts? We do not have a selection here... :( How about the, 'Bumble Bee Shrimp'? Anyone any info. on these characters? Where could they be found?
BA Montreal had orange dwarf crayfish when I was last there but they need a 10g min more likely a 20g.  As for anything shrimp ask Zapisto at Aquanourriplus he has tons of different kind.

Laura

I concur - Zap is great.
Great info also at petshrimp.net - if you sign up, read the forum rules, they are very strict....
I would also say 2 gallons is too small for a cray, and some sp like to tear up plants.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

Quote from: beowulf on October 04, 2007, 07:23:42 PM
BA Montreal had orange dwarf crayfish when I was last there but they need a 10g min more likely a 20g.  As for anything shrimp ask Zapisto at Aquanourriplus he has tons of different kind.

Zapisto he's in Montreal? When are you returning to Mtl?
Voltaire:

charlie