Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Finally got some fish!

Started by Jeff1192, October 05, 2007, 09:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I finally have some fish to add to my tank.  :)  I got some really nice juvenile kribensis from Beowolf (thanks again!) and a small school of espei rasboras. I think I'll wait for a while now and make sure that everything is stable in terms of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the tank before adding anything else. It's nice to see some fish enjoying the tank. The kribs have been exploring every square inch of the tank since I added them.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

babblefish1960

Well done grasshopper, I hope you are enjoying them as much as your little fella, good choice by the way.

Jeff1192

Quote from: babblefish1960 on October 05, 2007, 10:41:55 PM
Well done grasshopper, I hope you are enjoying them as much as your little fella, good choice by the way.

Thanks. My little guy didn't get to see them much last night. By the time that I had floated them he had to go to bed just after they went in the tank :(. Oh well he was still excited that he had fish. His first comment was he wanted to know why the fish weren't shooting over to his treasure chest and yelling "Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles." So it would appear that thanks to "Finding Nemo", I already have a treasure chest and tiki mask in the tank, and now I'll have to explain to him that fish don't actually talk. Gotta love little kids.

Anyways I checked on all my new inhabitants this morning. They're all still there and looking good. The kribs are just constantly exploring every little nook and cranny in the tank! It's alot of room for 4 Kribs and a school of rasboras.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

babblefish1960

Sounds great, poor little guy will at least be fascinated in person today at least.

What do you mean the fish don't talk?   :P  I thought it was a sign of experienced fishkeepers that we would come to understand all the questions the fish pose in order to better serve them?!   ;D :D

Pictures? :)

Jeff1192

Just wondering what you guys think of the bio-load that I have in the 90 gallon right now. Up until the day before I added the fish I was dosing ammonia at 1 ppm for my biofilter. I am just wondering if the 4 small kribs and the 10 very small rasboras are enough right now? I thought they would but am just a little concerned since the rasboras are so small (only about 1/2 inch or so) but I also don't want to rush things and over-stock the tank too quickly.

Thanks,

Jeff

- George Orwell

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on October 06, 2007, 07:21:13 AM
Just wondering what you guys think of the bio-load that I have in the 90 gallon right now. Up until the day before I added the fish I was dosing ammonia at 1 ppm for my biofilter. I am just wondering if the 4 small kribs and the 10 very small rasboras are enough right now? I thought they would but am just a little concerned since the rasboras are so small (only about 1/2 inch or so) but I also don't want to rush things and over-stock the tank too quickly.

Thanks,

Jeff
I would think that 10 rasboras  even at full size would not impact your bio load much in  a 90 gallon, and should be safe to add some more fish in a few days after you check you parameters.especially since you have a cannister filter that was seeded & kept alive (bacteria).
Regards

charlie

I would be even inclined to add more rasboras ( another 10) for visual impact  ;)
Regards

beowulf

Quote from: charlie on October 06, 2007, 08:38:48 AM
I would be even inclined to add more rasboras ( another 10) for visual impact  ;)
Regards

I agree the more the better as they are a small fish and the more you have the more you will see of them.

busdriver

Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Jeff1192

Haha.....ah to dream.....I saw one of their tanks the other day on TV. It's the large cylindrical one at the bottom of their home page. I can't remember who it belongs to but it was a pro athlete who was giving a tour of his house. What an amazing tank! For now I'll have to stick with my "little" 90 gallon. Man that thing seems huge when compared to the tanks that I used to have.

Jeff

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

Well I brought the little buy to Big Als with the intention of getting another school of small rasboras or maybe some cherry barbs. But FĂ©lix liked the guppies so instead we came home with a male and 2 females. I think there are enough fish in there now to give a better bioload to get the tank more established. Now to wait and see how things stabilize.

Jeff

- George Orwell