Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plywood tanks

Started by Shrimpy, October 09, 2007, 12:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrimpy

Anyone here ever build any?  ??? I have some questions.  ::)

beowulf

If you search the freshwater forum there might be an old thread in there. 

darkdep

I considered it for my big tank.  I think I've researched it to death.  What are your questions :)

Shrimpy

Quote from: DarkDep on October 09, 2007, 01:08:10 PM
I considered it for my big tank.  I think I've researched it to death.  What are your questions :)

Well I've been researching it alot in the last couple of weeks. These are the questions I have:

1) I'm planning on a 72x30x30 tank and was wondering if the epoxy paint would be enough or if I should fiberglass the inside as well? Don't really want to fiberglass if I don't have to.  ::)

2) Should I use some exterior bracing of some kind i.e. 2x4's spaced a foot apart on rear panel and side panels?

3) Should I have some bracing on the top between front panel and rear?

darkdep

1) You do NOT have to fiberglass first.  You CAN go with just the epoxy.  The fiberglass provides an extra layer of physical protection in the event of some rockslide or other such incident, but it is NOT required...That being said, a lot of people recommend it as the epoxy, while hard and durable, is very thin.

2) You won't need them for a tank of that size, no. 

3) YES.  You'll want at least one centre brace of say, 6".  You can go with 2 if you want as well, but one should be enough.

Shrimpy

Thanks buddy.

Now I have some more questions,

1) Since I don't want to fiberglass and it will be a reef tank, could I just silicone Plexiglass to the epoxy covered walls for protection?

2) I will need holes drilled throughout, should I drill holes first then epoxy or epoxy first and drill after?

darkdep

You COULD do that...but:

- Silicone doesn't stick to plexi all that well, but probably well enough for this
- It will not be attractive in any way...although maybe coloured plexi?
- no chance in hell of making a watertight seal (but not likely important)

As for the drilling, I would epoxy THEN drill.  Standard bulkhead logic applies.I would drill in the direction of the epoxy-side-out, as opposed to the bare-side-in.

Shrimpy

darkdep

NP!  Note, that according to my research, plywood tanks only start saving money once you go really large, and then you're saving money in exchange for your own labour.

I killed the idea of a plywood tank for my 300 gallon because of the effort involved, and the fact that the cost savings weren't **THAT** much.  Plywood is cheap, but once you add in the epoxy paint (very expensive), possibly needed tools, possibly fiberglass, etc etc it comes out not quite as cheap as first expected.  The time to build is a lot; I'm paying more for my tank out of all glass, but it will be assembled in an afternoon (Hell, actual assembly time of the tank will probably come in around an hour with help.)

So, devil's advocate out of the way, PLEASE document your tank :)

speckledmind

A couple of things to consider before.

You will need.
- a very well ventilated work place.
- a proper respirator, and allow lots of drying time, Epoxy and Fiberglass can be toxic if not use properly.
- You need a minimum heat temp.
- Keep the humidity very low and under control, or your Fiberglass will not cure properly.
It's a smelly proposal, and can be a toxic one if not well prepared for.

I had once considered doing a project such as this with a friend, to test out the possibility of building a larger project one of these days, but we backed out due to the lack of a propper ventilated work area, a simple garage won't do at this time of year, and a basement is not an option either, consider the smell of varnishing wood floors, then multiply it and add time as a factor.
Those who I have communicated with in the past, and had tried the basement approach, would not reccomend it, some of those who did the garage option, would not recommend it either, due heat and humidity issues.
My 2 cents before you attempt it.

Edit : One more thing.
Consider using Marine grade Plywood.
Why !
Regular Plywood has " x " amounts of layers of wood per thickness of plywood used, the layers of wood are best at top and bottom, but contain a lot of defects hidden in the middle layers, the glue used acts as a simple bonding agent, it also acts as a filler in certain cases where imperfections ( or lack of wood ) would appear, structural strength for buildings only is considered.
Marine Plywood has more layers of wood ( Almost double ), use water proof glues, all the layers are of better quality, contain " no or very little " imperfection, it is a stronger product, will costs more, but will outlast the previous.

I guess this makes it my 2.5 cents lol

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shrimpy

Thanks guys. I can get respirators from work or the firehall. :)

speckledmind

I'm really curious and interested in this Plywood tank option.
If possible.
Let us know about your project when it happens, details, details, details ; )
Material used / availability, price of material and over all cost of the project when complete, things that worked for you and those that did not, what you would do differently and so on ...
Play by play Picts would also be nice  ;)

Shrimpy

Quote from: speckledmind on October 11, 2007, 06:37:44 AM
I'm really curious and interested in this Plywood tank option.
If possible.
Let us know about your project when it happens, details, details, details ; )
Material used / availability, price of material and over all cost of the project when complete, things that worked for you and those that did not, what you would do differently and so on ...
Play by play Picts would also be nice  ;)

There is a thread coming.  ;) I have a new house and I plan on documenting the making of a room in my basement for an inwall reef tank, electrical, plumbing, the making of the stand, tank, etc... I haven't completely decided on building a plywood tank or building a glass tank like DD. That's why I want to see what is involved with his build before I do the plywood route. Another reason I was kind of thinking of going the plywood route is that the tank will only be viewed from the front anyway so why spend all the $$$ on glass if no one is going to look through it.  ::)

jimskoi

If you guys are interested in plywood tanks.You should take a trip over to Alex bay in the States.On route 12 east,just pass Bonnie castle is a store called Aqua zoo.He has alot of plywood tanks set up.His store has hundreads of tanks with everything that you can think of.Well worth the drive.

Check out the link.I have been there lots of times.

www.aquazoo.com

He will answer all your questions.

jim

Shrimpy

Thanks Jim. May be worth a trip!  ;)

On another note, I just found a local source for the epoxy paint. Not cheap! $200 for the paint and $50 for the hardener. It is the Sherwin Williams brand listed on the Garf site as tank safe.  EPOXIDEâ„¢ HS TANK LINING.

audioslave_36

Quote from: DarkDep on October 09, 2007, 03:05:58 PM
NP!  Note, that according to my research, plywood tanks only start saving money once you go really large, and then you're saving money in exchange for your own labour.

I killed the idea of a plywood tank for my 300 gallon because of the effort involved, and the fact that the cost savings weren't **THAT** much.  Plywood is cheap, but once you add in the epoxy paint (very expensive), possibly needed tools, possibly fiberglass, etc etc it comes out not quite as cheap as first expected.  The time to build is a lot; I'm paying more for my tank out of all glass, but it will be assembled in an afternoon (Hell, actual assembly time of the tank will probably come in around an hour with help.)

So, devil's advocate out of the way, PLEASE document your tank :)

Not to thread jack, but I am contemplating doing a 10'lx4'dx3't tank for my Id sharks, in your research would that be large enough to be cost effective ?

thank you
Dave

Shrimpy

I've done alot of research into the epoxy paint. One place in Ottawa was really expensive. I found a place out west that sells a product called SP-7888 and it is the stuff you want to use for a plywood tank. The tank I was going to build from plywood was ~60 square feet. They told me I'd need 25 liters to have a 20 mil thickness. The cost is $25 per liter, plus a mixer, various rollers and brushes that they would provide because normal paint brushes/rollers won't work. It worked out to be about $600, however you can put it all on in 1 coat instead of 2,3 or 4. You may be able to get away with a 10 mil thickness if you can guarantee no rockwork will topple and scratch through. :)

Plan on approx. $8.50 per square foot and go from there. :) The website for the SP-7888 is www.spc-net.com and the email of the gentlemen (Norm) I have been in contact with is  ;)

audioslave_36

cool, thanks for the info, looks like I am most likely going to be building it 12' x 5' x 3' now.
so that being said I will be doing fiberglass then the epoxy paint.

Dave

DavidJohnson

I have briefly researched plywood tanks as I might decide to do one myself at some point in the future and I have read of people using pond liners instead of fiberglass or epoxy.  That might be more budget friendly and certainly easier to use.

Shrimpy

Quote from: audioslave_36 on October 25, 2007, 03:30:52 PM
cool, thanks for the info, looks like I am most likely going to be building it 12' x 5' x 3' now.
so that being said I will be doing fiberglass then the epoxy paint.

Dave

Wow, that's like 162 sq. ft. @ $8.50/sq.ft you're looking at about $1400.00 just in epoxy. Although, if you're going to use the SP-7888, you won't need the fiberglass. :)