Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What type of filter?

Started by renadia, October 09, 2007, 06:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

Yep my KoiS' are in.  ;D

In my 55gal I have 5 Koi's and 4 goldfish. I have a Fluval 404 but the ammonia seems to going up again. I'm going to BA tonight, what kind of second filter that's not to expensive  should I get? I can use my bioballs and probably my filter from the pond. (I left a goldfish in there) Can't use that filter because it goes in the pond and would be to big for the tank

Tx

Diane

KLKelly

If you can't afford a cannister filter I'd look at the Aquaclear 110.  It has a large open back that you can fill with biomedia.
Its still on the costly side but moves 500 gallons per hour.

I have two of them on my 90 gallon (only four 3.5 to 4" fancies though).  You can load the back with biomedia and cut the sponge that it comes with in half.  A picture of what I mean is on page 2 of this thread on the goldfish and aquarium board site: http://thegab.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2636

That is a whole lot of fish in a 55 though.  I wonder if one more filter would do the trick.  You'll probably still have to do large water changes twice or possibly more a week.

BigDaddy

Just get a couple of large sponge filters.  Excellent biological filtration.  Just hook 'em up to an airline and away you go.

Would be much cheaper than buying a full fledged filter if you are only looking to deal with ammonia and nitrite.

BigDaddy

Something like this:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17904/si1316326/cl0/lustarhydrospongefilter5

You can buy additional sponges and stack them one on top of the other...

darkdep

Agreed.  Hydro Sponge's are exceptional biofilters and you can pick them up for less than $20 for even the largest one.

renadia

Thanks guys  ;D ;D Will go and buy some sponge filters and keep my Koi's happy  ;)
I am sooooooooooooo tired of ammonia and nitrite  I don't beleive it will ever be clear in that little tube when I test and test and retest the water in both tanks.

Ha! That felt good  8)

KLKelly

Would sponge filters help right away - won't they have to cycle?

Also a 9"koi, 5" koi (5 koi and 4 goldfish total) in a 55 gallon - will sponge filters really dent this bioload?

BigDaddy

Any new filter will have to cycle... but sponge filters are far and away one of the most effecient biological filters.  Angel breeders with thousands of fry in a tank rely on sponge filters to keep ammonia and nitrite at bay.

They will cycle quickly since your existing filter already has the colonies.  Plus, it won't put such a huge dent in your wallet.

KLKelly

Thanks for the info - I'll be checking them out now also!!!!!

cemantic

Will these sponge filters slow down the intake?  I have a Rena XP3 and would like to increase the bio filter end of things.  Would this work well with that type of canister filter without restricting its intake flow assuming it is kept cleaned regularly?

Also does it work okay with the use of an air pump and stone?