Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I have fry...

Started by jodes22, October 09, 2007, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodes22

...and they're not from the keyholes!! :o :o :o

I got home from work last night and saw five very tiny fish darting around in there. I wasn't sure what they were at first but upon closer inspection, I realized they were White Cloud Minnows!!!  :o :o :o When I woke up this a.m. there were only 4 left. I had a 10g kicking around and decided to set it up as a fry tank. I had an XP attached to it, and it created far too much current, flinging the fry all over the place, which, I thought, killed all of the fry. I turned off the filter, and could only see one of the four fish floating upside down. Not a good sign.

I contacted my dad to see if he had a smaller filter kicking around and he had a smallish HOB which he wasn't using, so he lent/gave it to me, along with a small 50w heater. I went down to hook up the filter, just in case I have more fry soon, and found 2 of the fry swimming around in there!! I am very excited!!!

I will post pics once the water clears up a little!

If you've made it this far, thank you!  ;)

Laura

Great!
If you have an extra sponge, cut an X in it and shove it over the HOB intake so the little ones won't get sucked up.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

jodes22

OOOPS, forgot to mention that I did that... I had a brand new package of those cheap rectangular sponges that come in different colours and I filleted one so that it would fit over the intake. Losing them because of that would be awful after all that they've been through... Thank you so much!  ;)

Oh, any idea what these fry like to eat?? Should I try BBS or green water, or just crush up some good flake food really small??

dan2x38

Quote from: jodes22 on October 09, 2007, 09:03:25 PM
OOOPS, forgot to mention that I did that... I had a brand new package of those cheap rectangular sponges that come in different colours and I filleted one so that it would fit over the intake. Losing them because of that would be awful after all that they've been through... Thank you so much!  ;)

Oh, any idea what these fry like to eat?? Should I try BBS or green water, or just crush up some good flake food really small??

Where do you live? Can pass some hatched BBS on to you I hatch every night for the moment always have extra each day...

if you have no eggs also have small amounts of BBS eggs...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Laura

Although I'm no pro at fry, I would guess that depending on their size all of those could be possibilities as fry food.
PM also sent.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

busdriver

Jod, come and see me, I have some fry food you can have.

Just leave your cold at home.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."