Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need to buy a heater which one is better

Started by renadia, October 28, 2007, 05:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

I need to buy a heather for my 75 gal, I broke the one I had when I did a large wc and didn't unplug the heather :-[, I have used the heather I had on the 55gal but it keeps the water around 72 to 74 and I now have a ick outbrek and need to bring the water temp higher.

What type of heather would be recommended without me going broke  ;)

Thanks

Diane

busdriver

I would recommend a Jager, I have a 200 watt keeping my 150 at a constant 80 degrees.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

renadia

Thanks for the info Terry. You always keep the water at 80 degrees? Why, I was under the impresssion that a bit lower was better. So I guess you have no Ick problems then since that parasite doesn't like the warm water. I was kind of worried of having the temp higher than 80 but I guess it's ok if your fish live in the all the time  ;D

beowulf

Quote from: renadia on October 28, 2007, 09:08:50 PM
Thanks for the info Terry. You always keep the water at 80 degrees? Why, I was under the impresssion that a bit lower was better. So I guess you have no Ick problems then since that parasite doesn't like the warm water. I was kind of worried of having the temp higher than 80 but I guess it's ok if your fish live in the all the time  ;D
The temp really depends on the fish in your tank.  Some people even use two smaller heaters go avoid fluctuations and things of that nature.

BigDaddy

Quote from: renadia on October 28, 2007, 09:08:50 PM

Discus like higher temperatures.  My discus tank sits at 84 or 86.  Terry's discus tank is actualy a "cooler" discus tank  ;)

It's not that ich don't like heat... it is just that heat speads up the lifecycle of the parasite, so that your salt treatment will kill them off more effectively and in a shorter period of time.