Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Siamese Tiger Fish

Started by NjOyRiD, October 29, 2007, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

I DEcided i wanted to know more about my Datnoid so i did some research; lots of sites says that it cant be breed?!
exemple:

Breeding:  You will probably never breed a brackish water fish (except mollies).
Breeding; Unknown
Breeding: Has been bred on rare occasions in the aquaria.

my question is now; where does my fish come from? possibly imported?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Brine

I found the same to be true with Rainbow Sharks. I found all kinds of sites saying difficult to impossible to breed yet the ones you can buy at the LFS are not wild caught. I believe that there must be some commercial farms that have figured a way to breed fish like this on a large scale. Perhaps they use invitro-fertilization or something similar.

beowulf

Most of the fish that are near impossible or at least very hard to breed in captivity are often bred by fish farms using hormome injections.  One of my fav fish, the clown loach is bred in this manner.

NjOyRiD

so i guess my large clown knife would be the same procedures
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

EKen

Hi,

Are you implying you have a true Siamese Tiger (Datnioid Pulcher)? Because most pet shops sell Indonesian Tiger, but label them as Siamese Tiger.

NjOyRiD

for sure I,ll know when he'Ll get bigger, at this size its really hard to see the diference

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/dat_microlepis.htm

looks like mine compared to others
370g System

EKen

That is not a "true" Siamese Tiger. It is a Datnioide Microlepis, or Indonesian Tiger. Many websites mistaken them for the real Siamese Tiger. The Indonesian Tiger is a lot more easy to find, and at a much cheaper price. Datnioide Pulcher, or Siamese Tiger, goes in the hundreds of dollars for a 6-7 inch specimen. Please see the attached link for the variaty of Datnioide: http://www.fishyou.com/fish-tiger.php

NjOyRiD

its alright, i reAlly love my dat, great personality! Good with others (till it get bigger) lol just a great fish!
370g System