Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dead pleco

Started by Jeff1192, October 31, 2007, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

When I got home from work tonight I noticed that one of my bushynose had died. I did a 15-20% water change last night. I tested the water tonight once I noticed and ammonia and nitrites were 0, nitrates were between 5-10. I have another bushynose in the tank and it seems fine. Everything else in the tank seems fine as well. Not sure what happened. I've been adding zucchini, peas and algae wafers to the tank from time to time and there's plenty of green algae on the driftwood so I'm sure it wasn't from a lack of food. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

busdriver

Was it one you got from me?
If so, I've had a few that have died for some unknown reason.
What I mean by a few, 2 or 3 out of 2 or 300.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Jeff1192

No I didn't get it from you.....maybe I should have.....haha.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

PaleoFishGirl

Did it look bloated or anything? Any wounds?

Jeff1192

No nothing at all. That's what I found weird. Just found it at the bottom of the tank.

Jeff

- George Orwell

PaleoFishGirl

How old was it?

As long as everyone else in the tank looks ok (especially the other pleco(s)?), you might have to chalk this up to 'mystery death'!

Jeff1192

Not sure how old it was. I only got it about a month ago and it was only about 2 inches long so it couldn't have been too old. But at this point I've pretty much decided that it will have to be chalked up to a mystery death.

Jeff

- George Orwell

dan2x38

When you do ypur WCs what steps do you take?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Vacuum to take out the water. I then use large white pails that only get used for water changes to refill the tank. I dose the water with Prime (usually about 3x the dose) and make sure that it's the same temperature as the tank. Oh and I dose each pail with Prime before adding it to the tank. After dosing with Prime I usually let it sit for a few minutes and stir it up well before adding it to the tank.

Jeff

- George Orwell

dan2x38

This summer there was a lot of sudden fish deaths after WCs. I for one sit my water out for 24 hours or more treated with Prime. I aerate it while it sits to gas out. For me and others practicing this method have not had any sudden death syndromes. Also dosing x5 Prime calculated for total # of gallons when adding water directly to the tank untreated - like with a python.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Yeah I had read about those deaths....that's why I triple dose Prime all the time....figure better safe than sorry. Nothing else is showing any ill effects. Also I'm out in the country and my city water has far less chloramine than the water in the east end of the city so I don't think it was that. I think this one just has to be chalked up to a mystery death at this point.

Thanks,

Jeff

- George Orwell

Julie

How big was the bushynose?  Wouldn't like change in PH - likely related to water change.

Jeff1192

He was the same size as my other one, about 1.5-2".  I haven't checked the Ph since the water change but it's always been pretty steady at 7.6 when I have checked it.

Jeff

- George Orwell

Julie

Test your ph, put some h20 in a container over night with an airstone.  Test again - what filtration is on tank?

BigDaddy

If everyone else in the tank is fine, including another pleco of the same species, I doubt a waterchange had anything to do with it.

This tank has very sensitive fish like rams and badis badis.  If the water change was a problem, they would be dead long before a pleco would.

Jeff1192

Yeah that's what I kinda figured. The first thing I did was check out my rams and badis and they're all fine and acting completely normal so I figured that it wasn't the water change.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Jeff

- George Orwell

Julie

Jeff1192

Yeah I would say that's about the size of them? Why?

- George Orwell

beowulf

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 02, 2007, 09:10:59 AM
If everyone else in the tank is fine, including another pleco of the same species, I doubt a waterchange had anything to do with it.

This tank has very sensitive fish like rams and badis badis.  If the water change was a problem, they would be dead long before a pleco would.

Totally agree.  Heck who knows maybe it had a heart defect or something I mean not all fish deaths can be explained.

Jeff1192

Julie you were asking about filtration.....

I have an Aquaclear 110 and an Eheim 2026....so lots of filtration.

Jeff

- George Orwell