Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

excessive micro bubbles problem

Started by cemantic, November 01, 2007, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemantic

Hello,

new here and have done a couple of other posts but my question here is what seems to me to be an excess of micro bubbles floating around the tank.  It is a 110 gallon tank 48 x 18 x 30 inches high. 

I have a RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter(350 gallons per hour), up and running with bio rings in it plus lava rock from the pond filter, the standard charcoal that came with the filter plus two layers of the filter material from the pond filter, a Tetra Whisper 100 Air Pump with two Penn Plax Bubble Disk 3" which create two columns of bubbles.

It is difficult to see where they originate from but they seem to be coing from the air disks but also from the filter/pump outlet.  There doesn't seem to be any excessive air in the filter cannister.

I have been told that it can be uncomfortable for the goldfishes gills if it is too excessive.  I talked to a guy at BA's and he showed me a tank that was really bad, ours isn't anywhere near as bad but it does exist.

Any suggestions?

[attachment deleted by admin]

PaleoFishGirl

Turn the bubblers off if you're worried?

KLKelly

Are you on well water or city water?  Is it mostly right after a water change?

cemantic

city water and it has only been running for about ten days now.  On setup used half city water, treated it, let it sit then added the rest of the water from the pond.  No water changes yet.  All levels are zero or almost so far after the fish being in there for about a week.

Glouglou

You're cat seem really interested by your tank.

I will see 2 causes for this:

1— Water oversaturated with O2 with the water movment.

2— and /or some organic film at the surface ( to mush food, fish, dead plants)...

I'm sure that cat know!...
;)

Jeff1192

Sorry I don't have any advice to offer for the micro bubbles but I also noticed that your aquarium seems to have become Cat TV in that first photo!

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

KLKelly

When I first started my tank on well water bubbles covered everything including the plants, walls, and even stuck to the fish.  When I had posted on this in another forum the response I received was actually to bubble my water for 24 hours before using it.  I was told it was supposed to "gas it out".  I never read up on it. It had another benefit of matching my ph with the tank since I was doing 50% water changes.

I have a 90 gallon with two AC110s - there always seems to be tiny bubbles flowing with the outflow. But none sticking to the tank walls or ornaments or fish anymore (I aerate my water for 24 hours before water changes still - it is a pain).

I assume you don't mean that bubbles are collecting at the surface and not popping.

cemantic

There are bubbles on the surface but they disperse fairly quickly.  It really is just in the water from the filter/pump outlet and after talking to some people the fish should be fine but it now is an aesthetic issue now.  It looks like there is dirt flowing around all the time, which in fact are the bubbles.

Yes the cat really does like watching the fish.  She is about ten months old and very busy.