Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Zebra Danios Dying

Started by keansor, November 02, 2007, 01:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keansor

Hi. I bought some Zebra Dani's a few weeks ago. The store told me today that they haven't had any problems with the Danios recently.

One shortly after transport. I think he just got banged around too much; he was acting funny in the bag.

Since then I haven't had any problems until 3 days ago.

One died either yesterday or day before (I've been sick; the tank is at work) and another died this morning. The one this morning was acting quite lethargic (along with another fish). The two pictures (dead1 and 2) are the one that died this morning. There is a weird discoloration right behind the gills. It looks kinda like there is an air bubble under the skin or something (I doubt that's what it is, just looks like that).

The redgills, 2, and 3 are the other fish that is acting funny. The other picture (pregnant) is acting fine but is fat; I think it's pregnant (and is probably unrelated but wanted to include all possibly relevant information).

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels are all perfect. Has been a lot of algae growth in the last few days. I don't know if that's related.

The tank description below is for our tank at home (which is doing fine). This is a 10 gallon at work with just the danios and a couple of plantlings from our home tank).

Any suggestions appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

It would be good to know what your perfect levels regarding water parameters actually means.  It would appear from the one photograph that there is a problem with the water, nitrite for example, zebra danios are a very hardy fish, so a little more information is required.  My guess would be chloramine, what do you use to treat the water in your tanks?

keansor

Ammonia and Nitrite both read 0, Nitrate was under 5ppm.

I use Top Fin Water Conditioner. I'm the only one that does the water changes and I know this has been studiously applied.

I also did a water change a few minutes before taking these photos so there are many more floaties in the water than normal. I thought that if there was something wrong with the water a water change might help.

fischkopp

Quote from: keansor on November 02, 2007, 01:56:04 PM
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels are all perfect. Has been a lot of algae growth in the last few days. I don't know if that's related.

What kind of algae? If its blue-algae (which are no algae but cyano-bacteria) it could have poisoned your fish. Any other algae should be no problem though ...
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

keansor

Some of the algae may be blue-green (looks a little like this: http://www.aquamax.de/Shop/Artikelbilder/Zusatzbilder/Algen%20im%20Aquarium_Blaualgen%20-%20Cyanobacteria_STUG_cyano1.jpg) But most of it is not. I thought I also might have noticed a strange smell (which can be associated with this 'algae') but I've been pretty nauseous for a few days; thought my system might be playing with me.

If this is the problem, is there something I can do to treat the fish? (as opposed to just getting rid of the algae; which I will try to do)

fischkopp

I quick remedy will be a 50% water change. Active carbonate filtration may also help to get the poison out of the water.

Blue algae can be pretty nasty and hard to get rid off. There are different ways to do so like blackout, H2Os and Erythromycin. I tried all in this order but only the erythromycin finally worked. I would suggest to try a blackout first (read how-to here), and use erythromycin if you still have problems 4 weeks later.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Vizerdrix

If it isn't the algae, it definitely sounds like some sort of poisoning.  You said you were ill, was anybody feeding the fish while you were gone?  Could they have inadvertantly put something in the tank that would harm the fish?  And in the extreme, is there someone in your office that would have a grudge against you (not trying to be paranoid, but you might as well cover all the bases!).

As for your "pregnant" danio, I would think it's constipated... I don't know that much about danios though, except that they're freakin' impossible to catch out of a 90g planted tank!!!

renadia

hi saw you in the chat room but you didn't stay long enough  ;)
Maybe a water change and some Melafix? But with that you should not put the carbon in. What is your water temperature?

keansor

I am pretty sure that no one at work would do anything malicious, and I was only off for a day, so I doubt they even bothered to feed them (I told them they did not need to do anything unless I asked them to.

The water temperature is at 26C and has been pretty steadily.

What is this "activated charcoal"? There is an activated charcoal layer in my filter, but it sounds like you guys are talking about something different.

dan2x38

I think Babblefish was right on track. Get some Prime water conditioner and treat your water with that then do a water change. The gills do look burned diffinatly irrated. Prime by Seachem Big Als carries it. It's an amazing water conditioner and works out cheaper because it is a higher concentration in comparsion to others. You can dose up to x5 which might be considered in your case. Good luck.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

renadia

Quote from: keansor on November 02, 2007, 06:58:33 PM
I am pretty sure that no one at work would do anything malicious, and I was only off for a day, so I doubt they even bothered to feed them (I told them they did not need to do anything unless I asked them to.

The water temperature is at 26C and has been pretty steadily.

What is this "activated charcoal"? There is an activated charcoal layer in my filter, but it sounds like you guys are talking about something different.
talking about the same thing, by what they are saying I would change it, do a big water change and use Prime as a water conditionner. Hope your fish gets better

Diane