Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pleco's and Goldfish

Started by cemantic, November 04, 2007, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemantic

Back again with another question.  Hope someone can shed some light.  We have 9 goldfish that we brought in last week from the pond and have them in a 110 gallon aquarium.  Used fliter material and lava rocks from the pond in the canister and lavarock on the bottom of the tank.  All levels are zero or close to so far.

The question is because of all the pond water etc.  There is definitely string algae cropping up.  BA suggested a pair of Pleco's which I brought home.  Little guys about two inches.  Since then though I have done some reading and they apparently can attack the goldfish and feed off their slim coat.  Other info says they are fine together.  With two they may also be aggresive to each other.  So afr all they do is hang off the sides or rocks on the bottom.

Opinions?

KLKelly

The official stance on the goldfish and aquarium board is they don't mix. There have been some nasty accidents.  Mostly with goldfish that rest on/near the bottom at night.  I guess their slime coat makes a tasty pleco treat (blech).

That being said you have healthy single tails. A number of the members on GAB are attempting to put their fish with bristle nose plecos.  They don't get too big either.  I would recommend you try one of these guys instead of a bigger pleco.

Also keep in mind plecos are big waste producers.  They will add to your bioload and your fish will grow a lot over the winter (depending on feeding).

Another thing to think of is making sure the pleco gets something to eat.  Single tailed goldfish are fast and greedy with food.  (I think you know that already!)

Vizerdrix

I had two in with my goldies a couple of years ago, they did not survive... Although now that I've researched them more, I think it was because I did not have any driftwood in there for them to gnaw on.

I'm about to get three bushy nose for my goldie tank, as I have a lot of algae on the sides of that tank (unavoidable, because of the location of the tank).  The goldies won't be in there long though, another few weeks at the most (keeping my fingers crossed on having the pond finished by then).  I WILL be getting a piece of driftwood tomorrow. :)  Once the goldies are moved, I'm turning the tank into a planted one anyhow, so that will fit in beautifully!

Babble has some Albino Bushy Nose for sale in the classifieds (that's where I'm getting mine from), you might want to try that out, as his are VERY reasonably priced! :)

squeeker

I have personally seen the result of a common pleco attack on a goldfish, and it isn't pleasant. Bristle/Bushynose plecos, or rubberlip plecos, are usually safe, though there are exceptions.  I keep albino BN's and so far, so good.  IMO they are cute and interesting fish!

Be forewarned, though... no pleco will take care of all of the algae in the tank.  Certain species prefer certain algaes, and no one fish will consume every type.  You will still have to scrub!

Also, do consider what KLKelly said about bioload.  You have an overstocked aquarium already, and honestly, the algae isn't going to hurt the fish.

cemantic

Thanks for the opinions.  I will be removing them and trying to find a home for them.  Not sure if BM will take them back.  If anyone wants them they are yours, no charge.  They appear to be healthy little guys.

KLKelly

I take it they aren't bristle nose pleco's then :( 

renadia

I have a pleco with my goldies and Koi's and it has not been a problem. I should research what type he is. I also have 3 apple snails and 3 cories and they are all doing fine.

I do have some driftwood in there which pleco's like and a big piece of stone that collects algea he loves that stone. I also add some algea tablets to make sure he is not running out of food.  ;)

White Lightning

I have had my two bubble eyed goldfish with a large pleco (8 inches from nose to fin) for well over six months. Now for the last six months I have had the same two bubble eyes in with a 3 inch pleco. These bubble eyed goldfish have grown quite large in comparison to when I first purchased them at BA on Innes almost two years ago. All the time spent with these two plecos and never had any problems.

KLKelly

I know you haven't had any problems.  I think any forum dedicated to goldfish care would recommend against a pleco and they've seen why.  Not just a just in case.

I don't think pleco incidents are common - its just that when they do happen they are sad - and were completely avoidable. 

Bubble eyes - with the bubble sac - are probably the most delicate in terms of tank needs due to eye sac deflation and infection with telescopes/celestials next in line.  Hopefully you will continue to not have any issues.

NetCop

Our little one's tank has a few goldfish and a pleco and have had no problems with them sharing the same tank.

In fact I have 3 plecos and a feeder fish (read: fed on any available food and just kept growing, and growing, and growing...) and no problems with him and the plecos together either.

squeeker

While some of you may have been lucky, I must stress that common plecos and goldfish do NOT mix. 

Here are some photos of my goldie Mrs. Chubbs (RIP) who was the victim of a pleco attack.  The pleco pulled out some of her scales, and the wound quickly became infected and went internal, which lead to dropsy and death.  She was not a small fish; her body alone was the size of a large grapefruit. 

In this photo you can see her scales protruding from the dropsy, as well as the bunch of half-pulled-out scales on her left side.  It took her about a week and a half to get to this point.  Right after this photo was taken I removed the affected scales in a last-ditch effort to save her, which worked.  The swelling subsided, and a couple weeks later I re-introduced her to the main tank.  She quickly relapsed and died.

KatarinaH

Quote from: cemantic on November 04, 2007, 07:04:17 PM
BA suggested a pair of Pleco's which I brought home.  Little guys about two inches.  Since then though I have done some reading and they apparently can attack the goldfish and feed off their slim coat.  Other info says they are fine together.  With two they may also be aggresive to each other.
Opinions?

IMHO

Better to be safe than sorry. Although my daughter has had no problems with her goldfish and pleco, if you are worried I'd suggest getting chinese algea eatters or Algea-b-gone for your tank or perhaps even over filtering the water as goldfish are quite messy fish.

Crumpet

Just to echo what Squeeker, KLKelly, and others have advised -- the common pleco and goldies should not be kept together for reasons mentioned.  Some people are very lucky and don't experience problems, but it really isn't something you want to chance, knowing that there is a risk.

Quote from: KatarinaH on November 05, 2007, 08:40:47 PM
IMHO

I'd suggest getting chinese algea eatters [. . .]

I would not go with Chinese algae eaters, either, as they can also cause trouble

Nerine

Pleco's like any fat bodied, slow moving fish! don't take the risk!

you don't NEED a pleco for a tank. mine is there for aesthetic purposes only :) They eat a LOT of food, so don't forget to feed them sinking wafers
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

KatarinaH

Quote from: Crumpet on November 06, 2007, 12:13:18 AM
I would not go with Chinese algae eaters, either, as they can also cause trouble

Really? I didn't realise that. NetCop and I are still fairly new in our love of fishies. We heard somewhere that the chinese algea eatters were a great alternative to plecos when it comes to cleaning the tank. Thanks for the tip, we'll definately be reading more into them before purchasing our first one(s)

Crumpet

I find the Chinese algae eaters are okay when they are young, but get more aggressive when they get bigger/older.  This may work in some tanks, but I just wouldn't pair them with goldfish.  Also depending on whether the goldfish are kept without a heater, there would be compatibility issues temperature-wise, too.

cemantic

The picture below is not them but the closest of how they look from the web.  Big Al's said they would take them back so on Saturday I'll probably do that.  Torn though since some people have reported no problems which from what I've read is true but the possibilty is always there lurking in the background.  Also read that as they mature and have grown they get more territorial and then problems start.

The bristlenose guys from what I've read are a better alternative.  I guess you never know until you start taking care of them.  Sad to have to take them back though.  They are looking healthier by the day.  Too bad the people at Big Al's don't at least give you a heads up when they sell you things, kind of disappointing.  If I knew what I know now I would have passed on them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

neon

Just wondering, but wouldn't these 2 not mix due to water temps?  Goldfish are coldwater, but don't plecos require a heater?

cemantic

Doing some searching on bristlenose's and found this pic.  It looks very similar to the previous pic I had in the last post.  This one is listed as a bristlenose though hard to see the bristles in this picture.  Maybe that is what they are.

From this site.  http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Plecoctomus,%20Bristlenose.htm

I am going to get a closer look at the guys at home.  They are very small right now, less then two inches.  Confused now since there are obviously many species of Plecos out there and there is the variances of female vs male, the males apparently being more aggressive.  But then there is the better safe then sorry syndrum.

Not really concerned about the algae aspect, until they grow they don't seem to be dealing with the algae.  They definitely are eating it but not in huge quantities.  Scrub power every weekend for that part when I do the water change.  Ideally I would like to try and get as balanced an ecology as possible in the aquarium, hence even the consideration of the Plecos.

Levels are still reasonable but I am going to add a sponge filter to one of the air outlets this weekend to help out, maybe one on the canister intake.

Thanks for the opinions offered here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

This latest picture is one of an Ancistrus species, a very different animal from the gibbiceps you posted prior to this one.  The gibbiceps you purchased are not recommended, and with good reason, it is much better for your fish to take the advice as being an unpredictable fish with the eventual proclivity to cause harm.  The ancistrus (bristlenose) will be a fine addition you can always trust and enjoy.