Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

T5 lighting

Started by charlie, November 06, 2007, 04:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

For the folks that want to do T5 fluorescent  for their planted tanks or maybe just better lights for their tanks, here is a alternate route, these lights  come with a 6500 K T5 bulb with the fixture & pre wired with a switch ready to go all you need to do is add a reflector for better penetration of light . I know some members already use them & maybe can comment on it, i saw them @ B&B hydroponics & they are fairly priced, the 54 watt ( approx 4 footer is about 35.00 complete without reflector) There are 36 & 24 inch model available but slightly more expensive.They also have 48 inch reflectors but no 36 or 24.
http://www.extremegrowing.com/lighting/t5.shtml
Regards

Mettle

Fantastic post. Lovin' it. I'm actually thinking about T5s if I do a salt water nano. A friend of mine does only T5s and metal halide and I figure this is pretty customizable in that respect.

As for the reflectors - I'm sure there are places you can buy them. Or for the 24" models couldn't you just cut a 48" on in half?

Cheers.

fischkopp

Yeah - I got 2x 48" T5HO + reflector from B&B for $120 just two weeks ago. Its quite an alternative especially if you consider that the bulbs are already included. The only disadvantage is that the endcaps are not waterproof - but thats not really a problem if you hang them or put them behind glass. Its a pity that the reflectors come in 48" only, but its no problem to cut them to size.

I am quite happy with it and think of getting a few more, although I have seen lately similar products in the aquatic world as retrofit set (i think Icecap or so) for the same price. But these sets wont include the bulbs.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031