Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Breakfast anyone ?

Started by charlie, November 07, 2007, 06:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I'll go where ever the OVAS group is.

charlie

The main reason for going to Summerhay`s are ( I asked the opinions of the people that came regularly to the first few breakfast)
It is pretty much central coming from all ends of town( East, West ,South & North)
Easy access by Bus (OC Transit within walking distance)
Easy access from the Q/way
can easily seat 50 people in one room ( without having to line up & wait for seating)
Price range from approx 3.50 - ??
quality & variety of food from my experience is not too bad
Room ambiance is decent ( there are better ones out there for sure , but try getting them to seat everyone together + plus the last minute walk in)
I agree , there is one waitress , that can get edgy ( But there is a easy solution to that, others have mentioned already)
But hey , i will be happy to go somewhere else that fits the above pros.

Fishnut

If we were to call the restaurant and tell the manager that we would prefer she not be our server.  If asked why then the manager will be told about what we think of her service.  Every other waitress I've ever noticed there has been nice to us and competant.  Maybe they would appreciate deserving tips.

What about Rockwells in that mall on Merivale as an alternative?  I used to go there when I had to start work at 5am at Best buy.  My one and only bus dropped me off 30 minutes early and I hung out there cradling my bottomless coffee :)

Laura

I agree she sounded rude, but I differ on the tip amounts. Inexpensive breakfasts always skew tips and IMO 20% of a cheap dish doesn't work out right. 

A $4 breakfast still needs an order taken, a trip for coffee, a trip for the meal, a trip for the coffee refill (although we had it on the table), a trip to make sure everything is okay, the subsequent trip for ketchup or whatever was missing, and a trip for the bill. 20% of such a meal is only $0.80 which I think would be an extremely low tip for that much back and forth.

All that said, she sounded rude.  If it's the same server we had when I joined you, although I didn't have any particular issue with her, she didn't seem thrilled to be there.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Nerine

I don't mind tipping, I'm usually a generous tipper as long as service is good! I even tip the gas attendants and they always seem surprised at the amount I give them for filling up the car (it seems people tend not to tip them!) Just don't ask for a tip or get snippy. 

I don't mind summerhays just her! maybe she really hates working saturday's but has to! who knows! or maybe she also doesn't realize how she comes across.

I'll go wherever the group goes :) I like our secluded room at summerhays. though it is far ;) but have to keep in mind we have people coming from all over hehehe prices are ok too...though we could all road trip to Picasso's....I can fit 4 other people in my car..... ;D Split the cost of gas and stop at some montreal aquatic places along the way ;)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

artw

hehe OVAS breakfast in Montreal.  We do that twice a year already! :D

washefuzzy

Quote from: Nerine on March 04, 2008, 09:12:54 AM
I don't mind tipping, I'm usually a generous tipper as long as service is good! I even tip the gas attendants and they always seem surprised at the amount I give them for filling up the car (it seems people tend not to tip them!) Just don't ask for a tip or get snippy. 

I don't mind summerhays just her! maybe she really hates working saturday's but has to! who knows! or maybe she also doesn't realize how she comes across.

I'll go wherever the group goes :) I like our secluded room at summerhays. though it is far ;) but have to keep in mind we have people coming from all over hehehe prices are ok too...though we could all road trip to Picasso's....I can fit 4 other people in my car..... ;D Split the cost of gas and stop at some montreal aquatic places along the way ;)

It would be nice to have a waitress who doesn't scowl at us! We give her lots of work but we are a fun friendly group nobody gives her a hard time. I'm pretty sure she just got confused about how much you owed her but asking for a tip that was outrageous.
I love their homefries and their brockworst sausages.  :)

Montreal would be fun.  :)

Brine

I like it there and I did not notice anything wrong with the waitress or her attitude. Perhaps she was just having a bad day.

busdriver

Not to do any thread-jacking (heaven forbid, I wouldn't do that!), but by the looks of your avatar, Brine, you've had a few bad days. ;) ;) :)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

busdriver

Is there going to be a next breakfast at Summerhays or has it been moved somewhere else?

dpatte

i vote for summerhays - and keep track of any issues with the server
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

charlie

I vote Summerhays too, when i made reservations sometime back the owner booked the room until April for us , so as far as i know it`s Summerhays on the second Saturday of April @10.30 ( April 12th), the idea then was to have it on the second Saturday of every month at the same place , same time, it was only moved in March to allow us to meet & greet with our brave visitors from the ECAS.Maybe others might have more input.
Regards

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 03, 2008, 06:52:46 PM
The main reason for going to Summerhay`s are ( I asked the opinions of the people that came regularly to the first few breakfast)
It is pretty much central coming from all ends of town( East, West ,South & North)
Easy access by Bus (OC Transit within walking distance)
Easy access from the Q/way
can easily seat 50 people in one room ( without having to line up & wait for seating)
Price range from approx 3.50 - ??
quality & variety of food from my experience is not too bad
Room ambiance is decent ( there are better ones out there for sure , but try getting them to seat everyone together + plus the last minute walk in)
I agree , there is one waitress , that can get edgy ( But there is a easy solution to that, others have mentioned already)
But hey , i will be happy to go somewhere else that fits the above pros.

washefuzzy

Summerhayes works for me especially when I can get drives and the extra after word of being taken to pet stores in the west end.  :)

busdriver

Is there going to be a breakfast at Summerhays in April?

Nerine

looks like april 12th...

I won't be able to make it this time :(
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Nerine

where was that link supposed to go?

Laura

Charlie's quote
"when i made reservations sometime back the owner booked the room until April for us , so as far as i know it`s Summerhays on the second Saturday of April @10.30 ( April 12th),"
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

Will miss it again... Latios' hockey calls first. We got a parents against the kids shinney game. Later in the after the kids have the team party then the season is done.  8) we made it...  ::)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."