Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for loach or other snail-eater ideas

Started by Jeff1192, November 10, 2007, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I'm starting to get a fair number of pond snails in my tank. I'm looking for suggestions for a small loach or other fish that would help take care of this problem. My first choice would be dwarf puffers but I have too many concerns about their aggression when they get older.  My wife hates the look of khuli loaches (thinks they look too much like snakes ;D)...so unfortunately they're out. I would want something on the smaller end of things. I like the look the the zebra loach but have read that they can be fin nippers. I look forward to any suggestions you might have.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

beowulf

Depends on how big you want your loaches.  The smallest number of zebras, or any loach for that matter, that I would get it 4 at the very minimum but 6 is better.  I am not sure were you heard about them being fin nippers, I have never seen it and they are considered one of the most peaceful of loaches.  Here is a quote from loaches.com 

QuoteCare: A peaceful, active, shoaling species that should be maintained in groups of 5 or more in the community aquarium. Keep on a fine sandy substrate in order to protect the delicate sensory barbel area, and ensure that there are plenty of hiding places in the aquarium amongst bogwood, caves, and plants. Clean, well-aerated water is a must.

It is a great shame that many stores do not stock Botia striata as a 'standard' species, instead of its much larger cousin the clown loach. Its relatively small size and peaceful nature make it an excellent choice for most community settings.

Another option would be I am also a fan of the Botia kubotai,

QuoteCare: Polka-dot Loaches are relatively undemanding fish and once acclimatized can thrive in a wide range of water parameters, although softer and more acidic water is generally preferred. A very social fish, it is best to keep them in groups of three or more. Numerous shelters should be provided which gives them greater security and generally makes them bolder. Like most bottom-dwellers the substrate should consist of a fine-grained or round-edged gravel.

babblefish1960

Loaches can be nuts, my favourite fish for pond snails eradication (remember we love malaysian trumpet snails), is the indexicus digitalis opposicus thumbicus any species will do, they don't bother the other fish, increase the bio load, or destroy your plants.  They come in all colours shapes and sizes, and some of them are even able to help with aquascaping and plant pruning.  They also don't detract from the aquarium as they can be stored outside of the tank so as not to distract from within.

The only drawback is the crunch and squish sounds it makes when dispatching errant and evil pond snails.

Jeff1192

Quote from: beowulf on November 10, 2007, 02:06:40 PM
I am not sure were you heard about them being fin nippers, I have never seen it and they are considered one of the most peaceful of loaches. 

I had read it on a profile site but it was the only one I had seen mention this. When I couldn't find any other site mention it, including loaches.com I wasn't sure if it was good information or not.

The smallest number of zebras, or any loach for that matter, that I would get it 4 at the very minimum but 6 is better.

Yeah I was thinking 5 or 6, that's why I'm looking for one of the smaller loaches.

Another option would be I am also a fan of the Botia kubotai

That one is really cool too. Have you seen them locally?

Quote from: babblefish1960 on November 10, 2007, 02:07:16 PM
Loaches can be nuts, my favourite fish for pond snails eradication (remember we love malaysian trumpet snails), is the indexicus digitalis opposicus thumbicus any species will do.

Haha nice. I was just about to cut and paste that name into google :D when I realized.....ahh the joys of lack of sleep thanks to your 3 yr old who wakes up at 6am (and you went to bed at 3am because of work!).

Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

beowulf

Both Nature and Big Al's in Montreal have them.  I have also seen the Kubotai here at the Big Al's but at 2-3 times the price.  If you want some I am going to Montreal tomorrow and will be hitting both fish stores so let me know if you want me to bring you some back.  PM me your phone# again and I can call you from the stores with the prices.

Other options include the Botia histronica
Care: This is a relatively placid member of the genus Botia. Gregarious and curious, they are well suited to the community tank, but should be kept in numbers of 3 to 5 or more. Unlike a number of other Botia species, B. histrionica will be seen more regularly in the daytime if given ample hiding spots, a large aquarium (minimum 60 gallons, but larger tanks will see more activity), and the clean water that suits other Botiine loaches.

I currently do not have any but have in the past and they are great little loaches but do get bigger then the zebras or marbles.

Zebra 3-4 inches
kubotai 4 inches
histronica 5 inches

Jeff1192

Thanks for the off but Irene just PM'd me and she's looking to get rid of her 5 zebra loaches so I'm going to take them off her hands.

Jeff

- George Orwell

beowulf

Quote from: Jeff1192 on November 10, 2007, 03:50:47 PM
Thanks for the off but Irene just PM'd me and she's looking to get rid of her 5 zebra loaches so I'm going to take them off her hands.

Jeff

Perfect!!

dan2x38

I would beware if you want to breed any CPDs. Like Babblefish squish and pluck... also control feeding... use some lettuce weighted down at night... I also use a small plastic container with holes drilled in the top and a stone in it then add some lettuce they enter then I dump... once you add loaches no inverts are safe plus fish eggs & fry, they are great hunters!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

beowulf

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 10, 2007, 05:25:50 PM
I would beware if you want to breed any CPDs. Like Babblefish squish and pluck... also control feeding... use some lettuce weighted down at night... I also use a small plastic container with holes drilled in the top and a stone in it then add some lettuce they enter then I dump... once you add loaches no inverts are safe plus fish eggs & fry, they are great hunters!

?  I have tons of loaches in my 110g community tank and my apistos and kribs are breeding without an issue.

dan2x38

Voltaire:

beowulf

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 10, 2007, 05:42:27 PM
yes but Apisto & Kribs guard their broads

Loaches are not big on eating other fish.  I have never seen them eat fry and back in Montreal I had some white clouds in a tank with some yoyo's and the white clouds surprised me and bred and I had fry all over the place ended up with a couple of dozen that survived.  I am not saying it is impossible but it would surprise me.

Jeff1192

Are they going to be a problem for my shrimp? I didn't think loaches went after shrimp.

Jeff

- George Orwell

dan2x38

Good to know about the fry Beowulf thanks... Jeff the shrimp are not safe...
Voltaire:

beowulf

Quote from: Jeff1192 on November 10, 2007, 07:31:10 PM
Are they going to be a problem for my shrimp? I didn't think loaches went after shrimp.

Jeff

Depends on the size of the shrimp and the size of the loaches and also how good the shrimp are at getting away.  For me the two do not mix because the clown loaches are large enough that even the biggest amano shrimp gets eaten.  With zebra you might have a chance.

Jeff1192

Hmmm....I don't think I like the idea of my shrimp hiding all the time....they're just starting to come out during the day as it is....sounds like I wouldn't see them at all anymore. Guess this means I'm stuck with Babblefish's plan...index finger and thumb.....oh well.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

- George Orwell

dan2x38

Quote from: Jeff1192 on November 10, 2007, 08:50:58 PM
Guess this means I'm stuck with Babblefish's plan...index finger and thumb.....oh well.

remember the lettuce once and awhile weight it down with a plant anchor or stone... control feeding... either way I understand your dislike for them I hate the little buggers!!!  >:(
Voltaire:

Jeff1192

I actually don't mind having a few in the tank to help clean up.....but I know what's coming....an absolute explosion......!

- George Orwell

beowulf

Quote from: Jeff1192 on November 10, 2007, 10:27:20 PM
I actually don't mind having a few in the tank to help clean up.....but I know what's coming....an absolute explosion......!

If I remember well, if they are common pond snails they will also eat your lovely plants.

Jeff1192

So far no sign of that.
If that starts happening then it will be all-out snail warfare!  >:(

Jeff

- George Orwell