Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Inline check valve / sump return

Started by fischkopp, November 11, 2007, 05:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

Although this may be moved in the adds sections I want to bounce of some ideas and possibilities here:

How do people assure that the water doesnt flow back into the sump thru the return path in case the pump is not runing? I guess the only way is to add an inline check valve. Are there any other ways?

So my sump system run on 0.5" tubing (basically because it more a cheapo external filter). I ave been looking around at Rona but could not find any check valves there (beside a 3" version). Does anybody know where I could find one in town?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

nelson

The easiest and cheapest solution is to balance your sysltem so you have sufficient space in your sump to accommodate the volume of water that would flow into your sump should the pump stop.

dan2x38

Quote from: fischkopp on November 11, 2007, 05:12:57 PM
Although this may be moved in the adds sections I want to bounce of some ideas and possibilities here:

How do people assure that the water doesnt flow back into the sump thru the return path in case the pump is not runing? I guess the only way is to add an inline check valve. Are there any other ways?

So my sump system run on 0.5" tubing (basically because it more a cheapo external filter). I ave been looking around at Rona but could not find any check valves there (beside a 3" version). Does anybody know where I could find one in town?

I had to order mine from Marine depot in the US. They have 1/2" & up. I searched the city high & low. Believe me... no luck...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

assiegordon

Very small hole in return just below the water line.  Breaks the syphon, and no worries about fouled check valves.

Jim.

groupie02

you can get a check valve at PVC Plus on Colonnade Rd. I have one of my return line but I also have room for the extra water in my sump.

dan2x38

Quote from: assiegordon on November 12, 2007, 12:41:00 PM
Very small hole in return just below the water line.  Breaks the syphon, and no worries about fouled check valves.

Jim.

Do you have a sketch or pic of that? I can't visualize it.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

assiegordon

Sorry no sketch, but it is simply as said.

Take a drill, make a small hole in return pipe into tank just below surface (if you don't want to see spray in tank, otherwise you can make the hole above surface).  While the pump is running, a small amount of water flows out of this hole, rest goes to respective nozzles/outlets, etc.  When the pumps stops, the hole lets in air, breaking siphon in tube and the only water flowing down to the sump is that already in the tube.

Depending on what's in your water (fresh/salt/cleanliness, etc.) the check valve can (and over time will) fail.  It's still a mechanical device, and the flapper can get stuck open.

I do not have a check valve in my piping, just a small hole :)

Have fun,

jim.

fischkopp

Quote from: assiegordon on November 12, 2007, 12:41:00 PM

Yeah, you are right, as simple as is it works great. This idea came into my mind too later last night ... :) Thanx Jim!

edit: I can not increase the sump size due to the lack of space. It serves more as an external filter with some extras gallons of water.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

veron

do not rely on check valves,
you can either make sure the return is exposed to air as soon as the pump stops combined with sump size.
the drilled return does work but can be prone to blockage at the worse times. ie,snail or algea. ;)