Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need help ID'ying a fish

Started by hamstercaster, November 27, 2007, 12:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

I bought a fish at Big Al's, actually several fish, but that one, I don't know what it is.  By the way, big thanks to Artw for putting up with me for a bit at Big Al's as I got him to try and catch specific fish from a group that all pretty much looked alike lol.  I got that fish from the "miscelleanous jumbo fish" and no one seems to know what it is exactly, so maybe, so fish gurus here will know what it is.. or maybe not lol.. anyway, here are a couple of pictures from that fish I'm talking about

[attachment deleted by admin]

damarech

Sure looks like a Kenyi  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/m_lombardoi.php
Here is a pic of mine.She is three years old.

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

Quote from: hamstercaster on November 27, 2007, 12:11:22 PM
I got that fish from the "miscelleanous jumbo fish" and no one seems to know what it is exactly, so maybe, so fish gurus here will know what it is.. or maybe not lol.. anyway, here are a couple of pictures from that fish I'm talking about
Anytime you purchase a fish from the miscellaneous pile, or tank of "african cichlids", you may be getting into something that you'll never figure out.

The fish still deserves your attention love and care, however, chances are one of two things happened here, it was either shipped as a wildcaught that has yet to be identified.  Identification of African cichlid species is much more difficult now than it was when I was keeping and breeding the little blighters, largely because now, they are breaking down the fish into such minutely detailed differences that it is nigh on impossible to differentiate between them without the different species in front of you.  Daffodils, or brichardi are prime examples.  Mere cheek stripe shape seems to be the noticeable changes.

Or, in the case of fish not wild caught but tank raised and bred, there comes the problem, which I touched on lightly in the last paragraph, of hybridization, there are many African cichlids species that should not be in tanks together as they will interbreed readily thereby creating something else altogether, such as it appears with what you have there.  Damarech makes a good call there, but, being a little more persnickety about details, I find more differences than similarities, but his choice was very close, which led me to broach this topic and probably ruin your entire day rodent tosser you old jedi.

I'm sorry if you are weeping piteously in your soup now, but I felt I had to dispel some Christmas myths for a moment.  If you do figure out the precise species and I am entirely incorrect, by all means, correct me, heck, even make fun of me, but be sure you know the subtle details exactly before you do, just for your own amusement. ;)

hamstercaster

Thanks to you both.  I also tend to disagree a tad bit about the Kenyi ID as the stripes are quite "different".

Dear Babblelidoo, no weeping here ohh eldest of the elders of the order of the Jedis.  Artw did mention that there was a good chance it was a hybrid but I liked him nonetheless but secretly hoped that he was wrong.  I have searched the entire database of cichlid-forum and could only get close to an ID but that's it.... Ah well, I guess I'll name him "bastard" lol and see how he fares out.  He is actually quite a nice fish as there are tints of blue/green depending on where he finds himself in the tank.  He doesn't seem to be too agressive either as of now although he did give my new blue dolphin a hard time when I put him in and had to move him to my other tank.. but aside from that he minds his own business

babblefish1960

Well that is good news then, despite his potentially questionable lineage, I am sure that his hybrid vigour will give you years of tireless service haranguing all the other snooty purebreds.  I think you should call him Sue, then he can explain to all the other fish that Sue really is a boy fishes name, just like in the song. ;)

hamstercaster

Well... haranguing hey???  I don't mind that at times as some may have noticed  ;D  But then again, one could harangue that I did not know what I was getting.. then some may say that I should have tryed to ID the fish before purchasing it.... But, hybrids need love too don't they? lol  and he's nice, seems healthy and I'm sure he appreciates a 5 footer way more than a semi crowded 3 footer.. I'll just have to get him castrated so his genes do not make it any further... unless it's a she.... then I'll call her Tom  :D

Either way, I'm not one that pays much attention to purity, F1's, WC or G1 as I honnestly couldn't care less.  My take on it is if the fish looks nice and appeals to me, I don't give a rodent's behind wether it's wild caught, 60th generation, hybrid or whatever  :o

babblefish1960

Well good for you and Tom or Sue or whatever it/he/she becomes, I am sure you will both love each other for many years.  Don't forget to make kissy faces, fish really need kissy faces to feel unconditionally accepted and loved.  It gives them that extra glow of happy! ;)

PoisonJello

my best guess Labidochromis caeruleus (Undu Pt.) but i could be wrong  ;)

hamstercaster

Quote from: PoisonJello on November 29, 2007, 05:12:08 PM
my best guess Labidochromis caeruleus (Undu Pt.) but i could be wrong  ;)

I missed that one in my search.  It does indeed look quite close to what I have and possibly the closest I've come to it...

White Lightning

I am with hamstercaster on his view of fish. If it looks nice and appeals to my esthetic preferences, then I really could care less weather it's a hybrid, a purebred, or even a load of bread for that matter. I just love fish in general !