Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

In desperate need of help!

Started by Vizerdrix, November 27, 2007, 03:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizerdrix

Okay, I admit it, I got a bit carried away at the auction last night.  After taking a quick look at the contents of a bag, I, for some reason known only to me and all the powers that be, decided they were SA, and got them for $1.  Turns out they are Lake Victoria!

I've discussed the matter briefly with Babble, and think I may try to keep them.

The label says they are Mbipia lutea, and they came from Mike Stacey.  Babble assures me that his fish are amazing. :)  From my little forays on the net, I figure I have two females and a male, the females being 2" and 1 1/2", and the male a tiny little 1" (he is showing egg spots on the anal, thus my reasoning that this is a male).

To make matters worse (or better) I think the 2" female is holding!!!  See attached pics.

They are presently in a 10g uncycled tank with tons of frogbite floating on top.  Heck, the tank doesn't even have filtration yet!  It was the only thing I could think of to put them in with such short notice.

Now, I have a lovely, newly planted 65g just waiting for fishes.  I also got 6 krib juvies last night, and they are in this tank, with my three BN pl*cos and spotted raph cat.  Two large pieces of driftwood, some artfully placed stones, and a couple of terra-cotta flower pots are also in there.  Substrate is earth covered in sand covered in a thin layer of gravel. 

Can I put them in this tank?  Will they destroy the plants or eat my kribs?  As a matter of fact, what the heck do I feed these guys?  The info I found says they eat filament algae and the occasional insect larvae.  What is acceptable for them in captivity?

Sorry to be ranting on so long, I really want to do what is best for these fish.  Thanks for any help you can give me!

[attachment deleted by admin]

darkdep

Doesn't look like she's holding.  Holding fish don't generally keep their mouths open, and the lump you're probably looking at is in the wrong spot.

These guys are aggressive; you're not likely to see them get along with the Kribs.  I haven't kept them myself but they appear to be similar in many respects to the C44, another Victorian, which is very territorial.

Very Very few people are successful keeping Africans with non africans in general.

Vizerdrix

Thanks DarkDep!  I've put a sponge filter in the tank now.  At least that will help some (it's from a cycled tank), until I decide what I'm doing with them.

It's too bad hubby won't let me have another tank...

Vizerdrix

Well, problem was solved.  I traded them for a school of white clouds.

babblefish1960

Well good for you on the one hand but I still think you would have thoroughly enjoyed them and would have experienced some fascinating cichlids from Lake Victoria.  Definitely need to work on the DH though, you clearly need more tanks. ;)

Vizerdrix

Around 12 years ago or so, my whole apartment was wall-to-wall tanks. :) 

Yes, I wish I could have kept them, but the timing was just not right (since putting in the indoor pond).  I have a habit of being overly hasty at times, and actually need hubby to keep me under tight reins, or I *would* go overboard. :D  And to think, I had been satisfied with my 65g for years, until I got my Betta last month... ;)

mcman

those fish were herbivores, and lake victoria fish are great. a lot of nice colors. to bad you couldn't keep them.