Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Funky fish tank extension..check it out!

Started by MarkD, January 09, 2008, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

Okay.. how the hell do you suspend all that water over the tanks?  There is air in the system so its not like its a vacuum or something...

xiaan

I think it might be a siphon the air you see is a bubble within the siphon. the just a have to make shore that the bubble doesn't get too big or else the system will fade (The must have an air pump to remove the excess air in the pipes)

shutterbuggy

Still, the concept is an awesome one at that.  Too bad its just not very cost effective or practical.  I know I would love to do that otherwise...

Saltcreep

Quote from: BigDaddy on January 09, 2008, 03:48:28 PM
Okay.. how the hell do you suspend all that water over the tanks?  There is air in the system so its not like its a vacuum or something...

Very simple physics actually. Think of the "bridge" as a long syphon hose. As long as both ends remain in the water, the water in the system will seek it's own level. Or, when you're changing water; one of the tanks in the picture approximates your tank, the other is your bucket. If you raise your bucket until the level of water in it is level with the water in your tank, the flow stops, just like in the picture. It works exactly the same way as my automatic top-off system for my SW tanks.

washefuzzy

That is just so weird it reminds me of one of those plastic homes for hamsters with pipes running everywhere.  ???

apuppet

thats cool,

but i see 2 problem with it, cleaning the ducts should be interesting, and i wonder what filtration they are running. what happens to the stale water in the ducts, is there water movement within the ducts?
planted

Saltcreep

Quote from: apuppet on January 11, 2008, 12:52:40 PM
thats cool,

but i see 2 problem with it, cleaning the ducts should be interesting, and i wonder what filtration they are running. what happens to the stall water in the ducts, is there water movement within the ducts?

I suspect this was done as a demonstration project just to prove it could be done. I wonder too about how to clean the tunnels. You ask about water flow through the system. This would actually be easy to accomplish; all you would need is a water pump similar to ones used as returns for sumps and such. Simply pumping water from one tank to the other would create flow in the tunnel equal to the volume being pumped.

Adam

You could have the intake of a canister in one tank and the output in the other tank...it would equilibriate itself through flow from the tunnel.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

mdugly

I'd be nervous starting the siphon. 
If it didn't take, looks like there would be a lot of water on the floor...

gonzobluefuzz

Quote from: Saltcreep on January 11, 2008, 10:52:26 AM
Very simple physics actually. Think of the "bridge" as a long syphon hose. As long as both ends remain in the water, the water in the system will seek it's own level. Or, when you're changing water; one of the tanks in the picture approximates your tank, the other is your bucket. If you raise your bucket until the level of water in it is level with the water in your tank, the flow stops, just like in the picture. It works exactly the same way as my automatic top-off system for my SW tanks.

Just how in heck would you get the siphon started......I've been said to have a big mouth but I know it ain't big enough to encompass the dimensions of the pipe/bridge that the pics show!! So I'm pretty sure I couldn't "suck start" it ...only thing I can think of is to have a sealed lid on the low side fill it under pressure until the high side is full enough to become the high/feed side of the system...essentially just like bleeding the brakes on yer car.

BTW:I'd hate to be the individual that forgets about the python (set on drain)  w/ this system. Those last 5 mins of CSI could wreak havoc on your day! :D ??? :-\ ;)
G

FISHEYE

Looks awesome, thanks for sharing what you found.

It's too bad they spent all that time on the cool "hallway" for the fish, but not much on the actual look of the tank themselves. It's an amazing concept though, and pushed further could look spectacular in a public space...

Saltcreep

Quote from: gonzobluefuzz on January 13, 2008, 11:06:51 PM
Just how in heck would you get the siphon started......I've been said to have a big mouth but I know it ain't big enough to encompass the dimensions of the pipe/bridge that the pics show!! So I'm pretty sure I couldn't "suck start" it ...only thing I can think of is to have a sealed lid on the low side fill it under pressure until the high side is full enough to become the high/feed side of the system...essentially just like bleeding the brakes on yer car.

BTW:I'd hate to be the individual that forgets about the python (set on drain)  w/ this system. Those last 5 mins of CSI could wreak havoc on your day! :D ??? :-\ ;)
G

Here's a link to the same thing on a much smaller scale. Something I might try, actually. As to how to fill the bridge. How about a screw on end cap at each end of the tunnel. A 'T' fitting at the highest point of the overhead tunnel would allow filling the tunnel while the two end caps were in place. Then, with the 'T' fitting closed up and the end caps under water, remove the caps. 

http://www.bio-elite.com/waterbridge.htm

FISHEYE

Once again, awesome. Much respect to someone willing to try it out. Make sure to post pictures and perhaps expect many visits.

lucah629

:D  wow. . . .I don't understand how the water stays in there!  pretty neat.  anyone know of a good website to purchase aquarium lighting?  I have a 30 gal tall reef tank with 4 green emerald mushroom coral, 2 clubtipped anemones, 1 hatian anemones, and 3 fish.  I  have only had it set up for about 7 months and currently using a 20" aqualife 50/50.  I know that it's not sufficient enough.