Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Maniacal mushrooms

Started by kennyman, January 14, 2008, 02:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

Whats the best way to deal with mushrooms when they become invasive? The hairy ones in my tank are ruining amok and starting to bug other things as they spread.

groan

could you not Cull the Herd?
maybe its time to frag!

Zoe

Yup... frag them and give them away to your fellow Ovassers ;)

kennyman

I have gone in there with a pair of extended plant pruners and tried cutting some of the shrooms back. What a mess! Slime everywhere and it left blobs of goo that just grew right back into more mushrooms! Ebil things I tell ya  ::)

Maybe I have to rip rockwork apart and do it in a bucket? I hate disturbing my little tank like that though. Need more Room!

Zoe

Yeah, they will grow back, so you need to keep fragging.

Hey, don't knock it... some of us are wishing we'd have enough growth of anything to frag it...  ;)

Julie

I have a little mushroom rock which I've had since the beginning, the mushrooms spread wherever I place the rock, so one little rock created 10 atleast 10 more on other pieces of rock.
I may sell the little rock.  Otherwise they will keep multiplying.   :P

Zoe

Does anyone have a magic mushroom that will miraculously survive in my tank? Now THAT would be a miracle, I tell you.

Julie

You should be able to grow them Zoe, have you tested your H20 - I find they like to be on a slant.

Zoe

Yup... water's fine, everything else grows find... just can't keep a mushroom alive :( there is one in my tank that is happy. lol.  and a ric. the rest, nope.

kennyman

I'd love to trade you a rock of these hairy mushrooms for a few frilly clove polyps! That would help me get rid of some of them atleast  ;)

groan

need any xenia? i have lots to trade! (who dosnt!?)

gvv

I found that hairy/fuzzy mushroms does not actually like intense light. I have dozens of them in 65G tank with 400W MH and they just don't grow at all, as they are doing in my 90G with 250W and even my office tank with Coralife screw-in 20W CF.

Also, just want to mention that when I'm trying to frag them I have to cut them with the pieces of rock they are sitting on, otherwise it is just impossible do detach them and you are having all the tank in their slime...

Regards

Julie