Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

To Jump Or Not To Jump...

Started by FISHEYE, January 15, 2008, 10:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FISHEYE

Yesterday, I finally decided to add a new member to my 16G tall bowfront setup. I already have a couple of small false percs that are extremely happy, one of them has even decided to host a small piece of xenia... and now, I got myself a Yellowtail high-fin Goby (forgive me if the name is not right, please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I was warned that Gobies are jumpers at times and I need input! Now, my tank is a high tank and most of the top is covered by my light (well, a few inches from water level) and it seems he has settled in a little spot between the rocks, but I can't help but worrying that I might find him to be one of the suicidal ones.

In any case, I might just be paranoid  ;)

Please share thoughts, facts or stories!

sdivell

I had a banded Hi-Fin Goby in my 10g nano which has a 3 sided wood canopy. only the back is exposed to air to allow access for the heater, the AC70 fuge and powerheads.  I had this little guy for about 2 weeks before I found him on the carpet.

They are escape artists and you may want to find something to protect your tank... perhaps some mesh

mdugly

I lost a firefish from jumping. 
They can be startled easily, and if they don't have a safe spot they tend to go up, and out...

If you make a cave near bottom, it will find/use it...

But if the tank is in high traffic zone, or tankmates are bothersome,
or if you have a 2 year old that runs up to the tank and hits the glass trying to grab it,
it will most likely eventually jump...

Julie

If the percs have a territory which they protect, your goby may be frightened away(or up and out).
I lost a fairy wrasse(jumping while I was feeding and didn't get him from behind tank in time)
a yellow tail blue damsel, and 2 anthias from jumping....
A tomato clown in charge. :P

FISHEYE

I didn't know what I was getting myself into  ;)

My fiancé Zôë has a Randall's, a Watchman and a Scooter blenny in her tank that is very similar to mine (28G bowfront) and none have jumped yet... I think I have enough space in that tank, enough caves and holes for him to hide in.

What kind of mesh would be suitable, without blocking too much light or starting a fire?

mdugly

AFAIK, not all gobies are jumpers.
Mostly just the dartfish type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartfish

az

Terry you got the same goby Scott had which jumped.

yellow head high fin goby.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

FISHEYE

Quote from: az on January 15, 2008, 04:05:25 PM
Terry you got the same goby Scott had which jumped.

yellow head high fin goby.

Thanks for the info Az. Right now, he's at the back of the tank, hiding behind a rock. He seems to be in a comfortable spot, but i'll keep an eye on him.

Heidi

Grr...jumping fish...I lost my bi-coloured blenny to a dive onto the floor. Didn't find him but my cat did. Luckily she didn't eat him but she was staring at him strangely.  I also lost another cute goby typs fish to a dive - we gfound him before he died and got him back into the tank but it was too stressful and he passed on.... :'( :'(
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

Tyler.L

i lost a yasha haze goby which is like the cost of all these jumpers put together lol....it hurt but someday i'll get another one.....someday :(