Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What do you use to stir your water?

Started by Adam, January 15, 2008, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I use a little fluval 1plus without the body but I really need to get something better.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

kennyman

RoxyDog

what kind of salt do you use?  are you having issues with dissolving?

I use both of what you guys said.   ;D  I dump in the salt, mix quickly with a plastic spoon then drop in the heater and a little fluval 1 (or maybe 2?) filter thingy without the body.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

pitabread

Faerin

I use a seio 820 I had lying around, with an MJ 600 to pump the water to the sump.

Vallely4

I use a Hydor 2 powerhead.    ...Yup :)

Though she's gotta go in my tank soon. Bought it for my main tank around Boxing day
Also was using a Zoomed powersweeper for saltmixing, great little tool for keeping the salt disturbed if anyone has one laying around. I know what most people will have to say -"Not much good anywhere else in marine aquaria, might aswell mix my salt!" lol

I'm using IO salt and having problems with dissolving -Yes even with the Hydor sometimes
I think I may change to Reef crystals soon (I think its better dissolving?, and better for reef no doubt) Anyone use crystals?

Funkmotor

I mix my water in a 20 gallon "Brute" trash can.  Near the bottom I've got a Koralia 4 aimed as far to the side as it will go, and there's a 100W heater stuck to the bottom.

The 1200gph output of the Koralia produces a vortex, and salt mixes in very quickly...no problem with stirring, and it only uses 8.5 Watts!

SuperT

In the past I've used a broom handle, power head, even my hand.  Now I have a measuring scoop that came out of a bulk pack of sugar twin.  I know I'm cool don't be envious.  ;D

Terry

groan

for speed i throw in 3 or 4 old PH's i have lying around nicluding 2 fluval 1's, a fluval 3plus and some generic 4-600 gph powerhead.

redbelly

I use a mag 24.
By the time the water is done mixing it has already been heated as well :)

artw

Quote from: RoxyDog on January 15, 2008, 08:05:24 PM
what kind of salt do you use?  are you having issues with dissolving?

Yes.
But do we know why?
I did a bit of research and its the same reason why the kalkwasser doesn't dissolve all of the way. (sometimes).  the source water doesn't have enough magnesium in it to allow the calcium to dissolve completely

this is of course oversimplifying it and I am sure I'll be corrrrrected soon  (reference to the bathroom scene in The Shining)

Adam

Quote from: redbelly on January 16, 2008, 10:23:34 AM
I use a mag 24.
By the time the water is done mixing it has already been heated as well :)

Hehe.  But you're on an order of magnitude greater than my 5 gallon bucket. 

Anyone think a MJ1200 or 900 would be any good?  I'm using and have used in the past Seachem salt, Instant Ocean, Red Sea, Reef Crystals.  So far the salt kind of accumulates on the bottom unless I stir the fluval around.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

pitabread

An MJ 1200 or 900 would be fine.  Like I said, I use an MJ 1200 in ~17 gallon tub (along with a 100W heater).  I usually just dump everything in the night before and by the next day everything is mixed and heated.

redbelly

Yeah an mj 900 or 1200 should be just fine.
How long are you letting it sit before you add it to the tanks anyways?

Severum

I use a spare MJ600 and a 50W heater and things are usually good to go in several hours.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

RoxyDog

Quote from: Adam on January 16, 2008, 07:01:31 PM
I'm using and have used in the past Seachem salt, Instant Ocean, Red Sea, Reef Crystals.  So far the salt kind of accumulates on the bottom unless I stir the fluval around.

Adam

I've never had any problems with IO, even only stirring with a spoon.  Gonna ask a dumb quetion here:  do you put the water or salt in first? 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

kennyman

Quote from: RoxyDog on January 17, 2008, 09:12:09 AM
I've never had any problems with IO, even only stirring with a spoon.  Gonna ask a dumb quetion here:  do you put the water or salt in first? 

My experiences are the same Roxy. I'm a small bucket guy too  ;D

What temperature is the water when mixing  and what are you trying to mix to Adam?

Adam

I put water in first, then salt...but sometimes stirring the salt as water is being slowly added via RO/DI.  I use a spare 200W heater...I usually let it sit for about half an hour until it's all dissolved.  It's just the little salt deposits on the bottom leads me to believe that a stronger pump would produce more turbulence and mix them without a little manual interference.

Vallely4

I have used all types of different pumps to mix my saltwater, as I mentioned but still the turbulence doesn't dissolved the tiny portion that accumulates on the bottom. Though I think its somekind of additive like kalk? in the salt that doesnt fully dissolve.

Does everyones salt fully dissolve, including the bit in the bottom of the bucket?  (I hate pouring new water in the tank too see tiny white particles still float for a little while)
It's also mixed for about 48 hours and still some undissolved on the bottom. I do water, then salt, and mix.

groupie02

I have a MaxiJet 1200 in my 20g BRUTE trash can. I also have heater in there for times when I need to heat up the water quickly. My IO salt usually dissolves completely. I've seen white particles floating around for the first few hours but they are gone when I use the water on the next day.