Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Incomming Newbie question

Started by Darth, January 16, 2008, 10:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

So I have a small 29 gal fish only tank which I want to reef with, I have 2 hagen t-5 HO glo fixtures, each holds 2 24 w bulbs. So 4 bulbs 24w each, 96 wat total. I just installed (placed) a new aquaclear powerhead, rated for a 30 gal tank. (maybe it was for a 50 I threw the box away and now can't remember) Well this thing seems really powerful, question is, is it too powerful for my tank? Can I have too much flow, I also have a zoomed sweeper, I found it wasnt powerful at all, so I got the other one too.

Wow long way to a small question. And also what kind of livestock can I keep with these lights

Thanks so much for your help in advance

Steven

Heidi

SOme people wil say too much current, some will say too little current...it's a matter of opinion and HOW you want to set up your tank. Some power heads can be too powerful and knock your corals and sand around. If aimed at an anemone - it may move. Alot of it will be trial and error until you find the right combination. I have heard from some people who say they don't like the sweepers.  I don't use them personally.  For the lighting - I think you may be able to get away with some soft corals but I don't think you have enough wattage for the hard corals. Or at least the corals towards the top of your tank will be fine but the ones near the bottom will not have enough for them to live.  Fish - well...probably can get away with a pair of clowns. Some of the pygmy angel breeds would be fine.  Some of the smaller goby's.  Maybe even the cardinal's.  Tangs would be a no.  You'd need you basic cleaner crew, maybe a cucumber, sand sifting star.

Hope this helps somewhat.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

kennyman

I dont think the PH is too powerfull but it is likely a very narrow cone of flow. Lower end powerheads like the AC's and zoo-med confine the flow to a narrow cone creating a high turbulence stream and little to no effect outside the stream. People interperate this as high flow when in reality they have much less gph passing through the powerhead. This is what "mods" on the AC's are for. You tamper with the outflow so that the powerhead moves more water in a widely dispersed pattern.

The laminar flow of a directed stream is not very desirable in a SW tank.