Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to OVAS but not new to tanks!

Started by peachee, January 18, 2008, 09:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peachee

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself quickly. I've been an aquarium enthusiast for about 15 years now, having both freshwater and coldwater tanks. For about the past 10 years, I have had goldfish; my last group traveled with me to university then back with me when I finished. After a year of being set up here, I had something wipe out my tank (not sure what; no external signs of illness). I have newly setup my tank again and am going back to freshwater for a change.

About me personally - I am finishing up the Veterinary Technician program at Algonquin college after completing my Bachelor of Science at the Univ. of Guelph. I am looking to go in the field of research but I'm not sure where yet. I will be doing a placement at the National Research Council come May so I hope that gives me more insight into what I would like to do. My passion is birds and specifically, parrots. I play lots of sports, currently playing floor hockey, dodgeball, pond hockey and I go downhill skiing as frequently as I can. I love to travel and if I get the opportunity, match that up with my love for scuba diving. Any other divers out there?

That's a bit about me. Look forward to reading things here on the OVAS forum.

BigMomma

Welcome to the OVAS Forum Peachee!  :)

I'm also a freshwater enthusiast. I'm not a diver but I believe there are a few here who are. I do love downhill skiing though.

Enjoy!

Brine

Welcome to the fray. Join us at our monthly meeting, get to put faces to names and check out our mini auction.

Sue

Welcome to ovas! I work in an immunology group at NRC. Will you be with the Vet at the Institute for Biology? If so I suspect I'll see you in May!

Vizerdrix

Welcome!  I don't dive (I have asthma) but I do snorkel! :)  I'm also a parrot fan, and have a lovely female Red Bellied Parrot, as well as a Peachfaced Lovebird and two Cockatiels.  I used to breed the Peachies (any relation to you? ;) ) a few years ago.

Hope you'll join us at one of the meetings (membership is half-price right now!!!), I love to chat with fellow goldfish enthusiasts! :D

peachee

Thanks for all the nice messages!

Sue - I will definitely be in the Institute of Biological Sciences but I'm not sure which division yet. Immunobiology is probably where my greatest interest lies though so crossing my fingers! Unfortunately, the placement is so short; only 1 month. I wish it could be a bit longer so I could get a feel for things. Oh well. Better than nothing! I can't wait. What do you do there?

Vizerdrix - If you can't dive, snorkeling is definitely the next best thing. Nice to see another bird fan! My Peachee has nothing to do with the lovebird strain but that it was the name of my first cockatiel who really touched my family. Her name has stuck as my user name in a few places. I currently have 2 budgies (I will always have a soft spot for budgies and cockatiels) and a hawkheaded parrot. Do you ever go to the parrot club meetings? And where can I find info about the OVAS meetings?

Vizerdrix

A Hawkheaded?!?  NICE!!!  I used to go to the Parrot club meetings, years ago, but I kinda stopped.  As for the OVAS meetings, there should be something in the FAQ... Next meeting is this coming weekend.  We have a very special guest who will show how to divide corals, and it will be a two-parter on Sunday afternoon and concluding on Monday evening.  Info on that is on the home page, as well as under the OVAS Discussion section of the forum.  Hope to see you there!  I'm not into saltwater (yet) but am going for the knowledge as well as the good company. :)

I agree snorkeling is the next best thing!  I have seen some amazing mini-reefs in Florida, just wading into the water at Baya-Honda in the Keys!

peachee

Unfortunately, I think the parrot club and OVAS meetings fall on the same night.  :( Unfortunately, I have to go to that as I have a table to sell some items and raffle stuff to bring as well. What are the chances? Oh well. Another time.

dan2x38

Nice to meet you. Well make it to the next metting then. We have a couple cats Zoie female & Shadow male. Also a female cockatiel named Amelia named after you know who... ;) hint - Earhart... LOL Add in all the fish and there is little room for humans.  :D
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."