Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best Way to catch a crab?

Started by armt, January 18, 2008, 06:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armt

Hey everyone,
Found a crab in one of my rocks, did some research and i think it is a (Red Eyed Reef Crab
Eriphia smithi) Its the only crab i found on the net with red eyes and + he as the same color.My question is how can i catch a crab that it is in a hole smaller than itself?

Thanks

percula99

Unless you have recently added new rock, he has probably been in there a while. Have you had any losses recently that you can now attribute to him? If not, then he may not be that much of a nuisance. If you still want to get rid of him, you could try buying a mantis trap. Put a piece of raw shrimp in it and place it near where he hides. When he comes out at night, he may go in and get himself trapped. I have tried this however and never did catch my problem crab until one day I found him on the floor behind my tank all dried up. Good luck.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

armt

Rocks have been there for more than 3 years.and never had any losts exept maybe a few Hermits but the only problem he is getting bigger and bigger.i will try traps see if it works thanks for the advice