Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Please help

Started by Darth, January 25, 2008, 08:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

Have this growing like crazy since I upgrade to t5's the algae growth is out of control, I did water changes, I got phos-x running in my filter. Please any suggestions
Sorry the pics aren't too good It's kinda slimy and almost looks like it drips towards the top of the tank
Thanks
Steven

Heidi

Hmmm...cyno algae? How long has the tank been up and running?   
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

Darth

Well it's been a fish only for about 6 years with reg flourescents, then I got 4 t5ho 24w bulbs, and then this happen
My tank looks like crap now and I want to cry

Darth

I read that erythromycin will take care of it, but I worry about my corals, I don't like to trust everything I read, so any help would be appreciated, thanks Heidi for at least giving what I have a name I can now obsess over LOL.

sniggir

are you running a skimmer? if you are try adding granulated sugar to you tank, it should help, also have you moved anything around in the tank some times cyano with come back if your water calom is off, it will go away you could try changing your flow alittle
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Heidi

I had the cyano outbreak in our 20 long gal reef after it had been up and running and clean for almost 1 year. Water changes, reducing the light time, removing what algae slime you can by turkey baster can help reduce it. I also ran an aquaclear with some carbon for a few weeks and that helped too. Also reduce how much and how often you are feeding as well.  After a few weeks, it finally cleared up.  I also have it going in a small section of my 45 gal reef but again, keeping on top of it and regular maintenance will / should remove it.

Don't let it discourage you - we've all been through it at one point and time, in different severities.  Right now - I am battling green hair algae as well  >:( >:(.

The big thing is that you are trying to get rid of it - it is soooo easy to see it starting and think "oh I will fix that tomorrow" but tomorrow is actually a few days or a few weeks away and by then you are dealing with a much larger issue than just the small patch.  I've seen (at Big Al's) a bottle of red slime remover, not sure if this works or not???  Also adding some different snails and crabs who may eat some of this will help. I added some astrea and margerita snails and they seem to enjoy it. Also I heard red legged hermits also like the algae - but haven't quite seem then going to town on it (am too busy seeing if my lawnmower blenny will eat my hair algae - need a bigger tank so I can get a tang!!!).  Maybe an emerald crab or 2 - but not sure if they will go after this cyano or not.

Let us know how it's going.........
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons

xenon

Cyano is not algae. It's bacteria.

Lighting schedule will have no effect. You could cut down on your feeding habits. It's perfectly normal to get a cyano outbreak on any tank less than 1year old.

I used a maxijet to blow it off my rocks and I put my closed loop on full blast to keep it suspended so that it would go into my overflow box and then I would catch it with a filter sock in my sump.

The more you physically remove it the faster you will beat the outbreak.

Good luck.

Darth

so adding maracyn is not a good idea

BigDaddy

Quote from: xenon on January 26, 2008, 12:52:37 AM
Cyano is not algae. It's bacteria.

Lighting schedule will have no effect.

Actually that is not correct.  Cyano has as many "plant like" properties as "bacteria like" properties.  Cyano can and does photosynthesize, so decreasing or illiminating the lighting period will have an effect.  It won't get rid of the problem in an of itself (a lot of other good advice has been presented), but it certainly would help in keeping the problem from getting worse.

Saltwater tanks are all about balance.  You have radically changed your environment by modifying the lighting.  The tank has to balance itself out again.  Extra flow and a turkey baster and a lot of patience are your best weapons.

Heidi

I wouldn't add maracyn or any other medicinal-drug unless you at the end of your rope. try everyone's suggestions first and then go from there.  Patience is the big key!!!  Having salt water tanks - you need to have this. I am not the most patient of people either - I want it fixed and I want it fixed NOW but unfortunately my tank will go at the speed it wants to go at. You can't make it rush..........

Good luck...
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons

Darth

I just worry that I did something stupid, I stirred the sand, and now it's under my sand bed. (feels like an idiot now)

Thanks for all the help folks, it's really appreciated

Bubbles

Get some " Ultralife, Red Slime Remover "

I've used it and it worked for me.
Its readily available... Marinescape, Big Als...

JD

xenon

In reef aquaria, a cyanobacter outbreak generally means an excess of nutrients, primarily phosphates, nitrates, and dissolved organic material, generally from over-feeding or some undiscovered mortality. Unfortunately, the cure is not simple. Antibiotics can be used to kill the bacteria, but these don't cure the underlying problem and some can have undesirable side effects, such as significantly effecting the benficial bacteria do the biological filtration. The most pragmatic solution seems to be to vacuum out as much of the slime as possible and do a water change to lower the concentration of the nutrient levels. This may have to be done several times in sequence over several weeks to lower levels sufficiently to limit the growth of the bacteria. Additionally, it may be necessary to cut back on feeding either in amount or in frequency.

sniggir

the red slime stuff does work but it is only a band aid solution to the problem, the reason I said add suger... adn only if you have a skimmer, is that it will increase the amount of bacterian and choke out the cyano. but if you are not using a skimmer don'y try this method
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

sniggir

Completely aggre with ya there, Xenon people have a tendancy to over feed, and or think that they have to feed everyday.

assiegordon

It's quite normal to get an outbreak of both cyano & algea with light changes.  Simple physics, more energy available in the presence of excess nutrients.  Don't get too discouraged.  Remove as much as you can physically, remove as much nutrients as you can, all will help.  At the end, it's a waiting game.  In a few weeks your tank will stabilize as it gets used to the higher light levels.

Jim.

cyberstar

I agree with Xenon, Cyano is not a type of algae, it's a bateria so any bad nutrience will help it grow.

Math

Darth

so this is what I have done so far, I cut back on feeding, now feed every other day. I sucked up what I could, and have done water change. Will continue to water change over next few weeks. Thanks again for all the help. You guys rock