Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What to do about Mushrooms?

Started by FISHEYE, January 26, 2008, 12:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FISHEYE

I've been having problems recently with one of my mushroom rocks (I have a few different kinds, all of them seem happy, except for one) and just tonight, one of those mushrroms is falling apart (is that what they call melting?) and is releasing some of its body as a stringy substance. It seems to be toxic as the corals next to it are closed up or seem unhappy.

I removed the mushroom just now...

What should I do?  I'm new to this so I'm not sure what my possibilities are or exactly what is going on. My levels were tested and everything was fine (earlier in the week), tests included Calcium and KH (all of them good).

There are about 7 mushrooms left on the rock and 4 of them are almost transparent (white).

FISHEYE

Well, I just decided I would give it away to someone with experience dealing with this sort of thing. Its posted in the classifieds, if you are interested, PM me.  I've had too much bad luck with that rock and I feel that someone could probably save it with the proper care.

mdugly

Sounds like they are bleached. 
Are the sick ones ontop of the rock, maybe getting more light than the heathly ones ?
Have long have you had them, and did you move them recently (within last few weeks).

Suspect putting them lower in tank, or other low light area of tank, and small frequent feedings will help.
If they are bleached, they won't be getting any food from light, so will need to feed them until they color up a bit.

You could break the rock and put the pieces in different areas to help determine where they like the best.