Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

AZ-NO3 (Absolute Zero - Nitrates)

Started by xenon, January 27, 2008, 02:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenon

Where in Canada can I order AZ-NO3?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Store_Code=PA&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=M3&Product_Code=M3-AZ-NO3

I have been keeping nitrates down with water changes but that is not fixing the problem. I am looking into other ways to lower my levels (macro algae and sulfur denitrator) but I am not ready to set that up because I am moving soon and will be buying a whole new setup.

I need something quick and temporary to keep my levels below 5ppm. This AZ-NO3 is exactly what I am looking for.

assiegordon

Last time I was at Rick's Hobbies in Renfrew, he had it.

xenon

Quote from: assiegordon on January 27, 2008, 08:54:37 AM
Last time I was at Rick's Hobbies in Renfrew, he had it.

Sweet, thanks!

I wonder if he will ship to Ottawa.

xenon

After talking with A. Calfo today about this AZ-NO3 stuff I decided to skip it.

He is highly sceptical about this stuff and basically gave me a cheaper solution to my nitrate problem.

Simply install a remote deep sand bed in a 5gallon bucket and within 1month I should have zero nitrates!

I jumped on RC when I got home and found Anthony's HUGE thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=595109

Julie

Hi xenon, I didn't read the thread - but in theory is it the fine granules of whichever sand(including construction grade) which essentially filter the waste in the water column?
thanks

Adam.Derome

I don't think sand in this case is being used as a filter.

The way a deep sand bed works is that at a depth of greater than 3-4" it creates an environment which a certain kind of bacteria flourishes in. Once this bacteria establishes itself in the deep sand bed, the bacteria it has a de-nitrifying effect.

So, if you're having a nitrate problem, a deep sand bed is one such way to allow your tank to "handle" higher nitrate levels (It will have the ability to export/process more nitrate). Of course, the real solution would be to determine why you have high nitrates in the first place.

Over-feeding and poor source-water are the most likely causes, and if you can solve those problems, then it will be much easier in the long run.

xenon

Quote from: Julie on January 28, 2008, 07:04:55 AM
Hi xenon, I didn't read the thread - but in theory is it the fine granules of whichever sand(including construction grade) which essentially filter the waste in the water column?
thanks

Read the thread.  ;)

You only need to read the first few pages to totally understand how it works.

xenon

Quote from: Adam.Derome on January 28, 2008, 08:35:46 AM
I don't think sand in this case is being used as a filter.

The way a deep sand bed works is that at a depth of greater than 3-4" it creates an environment which a certain kind of bacteria flourishes in. Once this bacteria establishes itself in the deep sand bed, the bacteria it has a de-nitrifying effect.

So, if you're having a nitrate problem, a deep sand bed is one such way to allow your tank to "handle" higher nitrate levels (It will have the ability to export/process more nitrate). Of course, the real solution would be to determine why you have high nitrates in the first place.

Over-feeding and poor source-water are the most likely causes, and if you can solve those problems, then it will be much easier in the long run.

I agree with you but my problem is that my bioload is too high. Four tangs in 90g is too way much.

xenon

If anyone is interested in knowing about this AZ-NO3 stuff melev tested it and started a thread on RC about it.

It's basically a bottle of sugar and enzymes.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1212711&highlight=azno3

angelfreak

The key to the deep sand bed is once it is established do not disturb it, you do not want to introduce air into the bed

artw

Severum

Great explanations and pics. I was talking with Mr. Calfo about this yesterday.

On the side - Where in the city can we get bulkheads that will fit on round containers?

Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

xenon

Quote from: Severum on January 29, 2008, 09:58:21 AM
Great explanations and pics. I was talking with Mr. Calfo about this yesterday.

On the side - Where in the city can we get bulkheads that will fit on round containers?

The best thing to use is uniseals. Same seals used on skimmers.

You could use regular bulkheads also but uniseals would be better.

Funkmotor

Quote from: xenon on January 29, 2008, 01:14:46 PM
The best thing to use is uniseals.

So, where might one buy these things?  Plumbing supply places, Rona/Home Depot, that sort of thing, or will we need to do a group buy on these things?

artw

did you guys try calling your local neighborhood marine hobby store?  I seem to recall there being quite a number of them in the Ottawa area lately.

percula99

I followed that thread on RC when it was first started and decided to set up a RDSB. I had consistent nitrates of 50-60. I have a 180 reef with lots of big fish and I feed lots. I use RO with a TDS reading of 0 and do regular monthly water changes of 50 gallons faithfully. Yet, I still had high nitrates which I could not beat. I set up a RDSB using a 17 gallon Rubbermaid container with 180 pounds of aragonite sand ( a bit expensive, but I wanted the best). After it kicked in my nitrates dropped to 10 or below and stayed there. I'm convinced. I hope this experience helps you.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

assiegordon

DSB definately work.  I have one in my DT & a 12" deep one in the sump, and my nitrates have never been detectable (by any measuring devices).  Just be careful, if that sand stirs, hell breaks loose (ie. don't tip the bucket) :)

Have fun.

xenon

I bought 60lb of caribsea aragonite sand today and filled a 5g bucket. I connected a maxijet1200 so its getting about 200gph thru the bucket.

My nitrates have always been steady @ 25ppm so I will see how quicly it drops without doing any water changes. :)

I also started using carbon today. I filled a seachem filter bag with 1cup (250ml) of black diamond acticated carbon and zip-tied the bag to my skimmer output. I plan to replace the carbon every 7days.

RossW

Excuse me if I am thread jacking... but I have really quick question.

Do DSB's work for salt only or are they also applicable to fresh?

Thanx,
Ross

xenon

Quote from: RossW on January 30, 2008, 09:47:41 PM
Excuse me if I am thread jacking... but I have really quick question.

Do DSB's work for salt only or are they also applicable to fresh?

Thanx,
Ross

I would imagine it would apply to both. Just don't use aragonite sand on your freshwater setup.